(March 2019) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

Hahah… awesome.

@nehon    Neon is sexy :

Inspired by Tilt Brush, nehon is sexy btw.

10 Likes

Pretty much got all my GUI components in place. Finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

15 Likes

Another short video from the Minie Project: inverse-kinematic control of head/eye directions!

18 Likes

Hey @sgold,

That is awesome. Seeing physics behavior like this in jME makes me very happy.

Good job.

1 Like

Wow, your demos are amazing and great advertising for JME! :+1:t3:

Is the IK functionality already available in your library?

Since this seems to be based around physical ragdolls, would the model react to forces, collisions etc. while being controlled by IK?
Just asking because I need some simple two joint IK for arms and legs that should NOT be influenced by other physics objects.

1 Like

Finished my ship building AppState thanks to the JMEToJFXBridge, Lemur, and Zay-Ez
Main1553777226404

13 Likes

Nice. Meanwhile, I’m just creating a one-day couch co-op game to test game controller related stuff:

I call it my “fix the libraries” game jam.

Going to be like the original old Star Control except (at least initially) all of the ships are the same.

11 Likes

Yes. You can use it right now if you don’t mind using version 0.7.7 of the library.

Minie allows a model to mix dynamic and kinematic behavior. Dynamic parts of the model react to forces and torques. Kinematic parts don’t.

In this demo, only the eyes, heads, and necks were dynamic. The remainder of each model was kinematic.

IK steering is implemented using forces and torques, so it works only on dynamic parts. Collisions are also implemented using forces—contact forces—so they generally apply to those same parts.

However, there is a loophole. You can disable contact forces like so:

rigidBody.setContactResponse(false);

That would allow the corresponding part to use IK without experiencing collisions.

3 Likes

@sgold

i still dont check new JME version(im working on something else and will show later). is inverse kinematic there too?

if not then could you apply your work there somehow too? :slight_smile:

1 Like

DynamicAnimControl isn’t in jMonkeyEngine yet. I plan to add it to the jme3-bullet library sometime before the 3.3-beta release. However, the JME 3.3 version of DynamicAnimControl might not have all the features shown in the video demos.

Development of DynamicAnimControl will continue to take place in Minie. The version in Minie will always be more “cutting edge”.

1 Like

got it :slight_smile: i would be happy if you could place best parts into 3.3-beta, so no need even include Minie that override physics and use old bone system (that is deprecated) and use 2 additional libs just for Minie purpose. i hope you will develop awesome things in Minie and throw stable and good written ones into JME with core/community support.

3 Likes

I’ve been working more on my decal projection system, primarily trying to optimize the framerate so I can feel comfortable sharing the library sometime soon.

Here’s a stress test I ran with a bunch of overlapping decal effects. I’m still missing one last major optimization (vertex cropping for vertices outside the decal) but I hope that will be an opportunity to improve the framerate even more

12 Likes

Decals seem like a very useful feature. I’m curious how you implemented them.

Judging by vertex cropping he used the wolfire Decal approach?

1 Like

Yeah that’s the exact method I followed, specifically this article they wrote.
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/06/how-to-project-decals/

I also have another less practical decal system that projects textures using a UV splat map, similar to how the terrain shader works.

The wolfire approach seems best for small decals and for special effects, while using the splat map approach is best for situations where you need a large object or entire area of the scene covered for a prolonged period of time, similar to how the zerg creep works in starcraft.

1 Like

Making progress… almost a “game”.

The ship can be flown around with some gravity around the planet for slingshots, etc… dynamic zoom when the ships are closer. For fun, I just added exhaust trails:

Before I added the fade out and decay, it was fun to fly around and try to make shapes. Reason number 437 why games never get done… :wink:

Edit: added “missiles”:

Right now they are zero mass, zero radius points… so when they hit something they pack a giant punch. Eventually they will impart no ‘energy’ to collisions… at least that was the plan. It’s kind of neat though so I may leave some energy when I implement damage and stuff. Now I have to do some “IRL” chores, unfortunately.

12 Likes

A little video of the asset store. I tried to make the front page nice and flashy and game-engine-like.
The sides of the “cases” should show an embossed “jmonkeyengine” thing - a bit like nintendo does or what you might remember on the “mega-drive” console. Haven’t quite got there with it yet but I’ll keep playing with it.

The video shows creating, publishing, rating, approving and amending assets. It does send the user a message, too but I didnt put that in. Most of the groundwork is there now and I’ve already gone through a lot of tidying up. I’d like to ajaxify it a bit more, but it’s starting to look more and more like a working model.

7 Likes

Looks pretty neat! So is part of the idea to tie this into like the sdk?

Some animal icons and an overlay for the upcoming hunting portion of the game.

3 Likes