Material Problem?

I’ve exported a model of a level from sketchup as an ogre mesh and material and imported it into jme. It looks great in the scene composer but is just black in the game, even though the textures and .material file are in the same directory as the model and the material has the same name as the model. If I try to load the material manually, it throws an assetNotFoundException. I’m still a noob to jme, so this is probably pretty easy ans I’m just not getting it.

Do you use the SDK? Convert the model to j3o, the ogre model files are not exported to the final game. Check the manual on deployment and asset management.

It looks great in the scene composer but is just black in the game

i think it need to be light issue, have you added Ambient Light + Directional Light to rootNode, or parentNode of your model?

and how you look at it in SceneComposer, do you use Camera light?

btw, how normen said use j3o(ogre should work too, but only for non-builded - SDK. also its not hard to just convert ogre -> j3o), additional i propose you to use your(not default - imported) j3m files for materials. its recommended.

Yes I converted it to a j3o binary (which also loads the proper materials in the scene composer) and have an ambient light. Without the light, everything is invisible and I just see the skybox.

Well what color is your ambient light? Also add a directional one maybe.

you know, everything depends where you add Light too… lights works on child/childs, where it was added.

so it can be issue.

also if you use normalMap you need tangents for get it work, but it’s not all black with ambient, so i think this is no issue.

@oxplay2 said:
i think it need to be light issue, have you added Ambient Light + Directional Light to rootNode, or parentNode of your model?

and how you look at it in SceneComposer, do you use Camera light?

btw, how normen said use j3o(ogre should work too, but only for non-builded - SDK. also its not hard to just convert ogre -> j3o), additional i propose you to use your(not default - imported) j3m files for materials. its recommended.

Yes you are correct. I was just adding an ambient light and no directional light. It works now, but I need to figure why my ambient light doesn't do anything. Thanks for your help!
but I need to figure why my ambient light doesn’t do anything

i propably answered for it too ;) my last post. you propably added ambient Light not in the same place as your Directional Light is.

Actually I’ve seen a bug a few times with materials coming from Blender. For some reason they appear black to ambient light although they are fine in directional.

I don’t use imported materials myself so I’ve never investigated but I’ve seen it a few times and I know a few other people have too.