(May 2018) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

Following your approach and adding “root bone” parent to the “hips bone” made animation works in jme, thanks for the help.

Took a week or so off development to give my head a break, then proceeded to spend 3 days reading all about meshes and writing god knows how many tests to make sure I understand. Everything you see is done by my own hand specifically for a mobile environment.

I have to say, even a simple game like this requires a lot more attention than I originally planned. The statsview below shows where I am now in terms of vertex count/objects/etc. It has taken some time to get it that low, and I am going to try to stick around those numbers as things are optimised and added to the scene.

My findings show that object count causes far more of an issue than vertex count on mobile devices, which means you can be “quite” detailed (low/med poly) but really keep an eye on how many individual objects you have. Overall, though, I’m pleasantly impressed. It’s been quite painless in terms of engine support on android. Almost non-existent after initial setup.

(StatsView shown below)

10 Likes

Were you thinking you might mesh it up otherwise? :wink:

2 Likes

Iv written loads of mesh generators but never really understood index buffers or normals completely. I feel a lot more confident now than going by my previous presumptions which were sometimes wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can’t tell if he missed your pun or just ignored it on purpose. :slight_smile:

Not just on mobile devices… but it’s definitely more exacerbated there.

One should always watch their object count. Vertex count is relatively rare issue.

Well I’ve replied to him at least like ten times with puns in the past to see if any would make him react. No pun-in-ten-did.

4 Likes

Ugh… I think that one made me pull a muscle in my groan…

2 Likes

Oh hell you think that one’s bad? You should’ve seen the other one.
See I was restocking my wallet the other day (and this is true btw) since I keep multiple wallets around for banknotes. One that I take with me everywhere and has mostly small amounts, one that I keep at home and has the rest of the money I use regularly and one that is more of a hidden box that contains the rest of my non-bank savings.

And then it hit me.
This is just L1 L2 and L3 cash.

1 Like

That was quite a trip. We all had to walk a long way for that one.

I think I really did pull a muscle in my groin this time.

2 Likes

The other day on a Quake-based multiplayer game I like somebody was complaining about campers. I said that camping makes the game much more exciting because it’s in-tents. Somebody promptly threatened me with a ban if I made another pun like that. :rofl:

5 Likes

Dad’s jokes are the best.

Made me think of this:

…which means you and I are allowed to make the jokes. I don’t know about anyone else here. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s THE reason why I made a child.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I finally finished adding the scrollmodes and auto wordwrap to the lemur textfields.
Next thing is the textselect. Once this is done I should be able to use lemur textfields e.g. as a chat window with ability to copy+paste the text or as a way to copy descriptions (later shown somewhere) from wiki.

4 Likes

I implemented normal mapping in my tower defense specific terrain shader. The implementation is still hardly inspired by jME’s stock one.

However i find it too “hard”. I still need to work on it.

8 Likes

Oh boii… can’t believe we still didn’t finish it :smiley:

17 Likes

Finally got a chance to load @nehon’s spacebug into our game… still need to tweak his perception ghost and stuff but he walks the waypoints just fine… mostly. (The bugs get stuck in the low spots and will need a jump behavior before too much longer.)

Isn’t it cute?

Walking his waypoints like a good boy:

His perception shape is a little too far out in front maybe but it’s working for now so I will leave it:

17 Likes

Yeah, looks really cute :blush: