Maya to md5 exporter

I dont like this but i cant seem to open your file, therefore i cant check what the problem may be. If anyone has maya2008 please try.

i dont know about this exporter, but if its similar to the others out there, it could be that u have more than 1 root bone?

Hmm, seems I'm not doing it right… (Maya 2008)

Get this error in the output log: // Error: No object matches name:  //

• Build mesh selected
  • File outputname entered
  • Build Animation deselected
  • blank filename
  • selected project work folder  (which contains the Maya file)
  • Press export, gives the error

Also gives the error
  • Build mesh selected
  • Maya inputfilename entered (with and without .mb)
  • Build Animation deselected
  • blank filename
  • selected project work folder (which contains the Maya file)
  • Press export, gives the error

Any help?

You must have at least one skinCluster in your scene and one mesh attached to it.

Hi I stumbled across your MD5 exporter while searching for a way to get models from Maya to JME. I had already come across the other md5 exporter, but I have Maya 2008 so it doesn't work. I tried the link you provided at the beginning of the post, but it no longer seems to be working. Is there anyway I can access this script? Thanks.

Due to the high demands on the exporter i've decided to make a website for it with donation links 8). It will be available soon. In the meantime i'll put it back the original link.

Awesome, thank you so much!  :smiley:

Hi thanks for the new version of the exporter. I'm just a bit of a newb here so I don't quite understand the workflow of this exporter. With a rigged character which in the build mesh option do I put the name of the rigged character? Or the name of the mesh? In the animation field what information needs to be put there? Also what goes in the path and what goes in the project field. Once I hit export I see the locators, but what has actually happened?

Sorry, I'm coming to this from the animation side of things, so I really don't know much about mel yet. Thanks again.

hey guys! got a big problem (like that one mentioned above): when i want to export my model it says "Error: Found 0 matches for 'bindPose2'."

whats that all about? i couldn't manage to get it away, even if i export only the mesh!

would be nice if somebody could help me

//edit: ok managed to get the animation out (with another version from the original author), but it doesn't export the md5mesh correctly… anyone an idea how to get it anyways?

//edit2: so i got back to that version with the bindPose2-bug. i just searched for it in the .mel file and put in "gotoBindPose;" instead of what stood there, works just fine now :slight_smile: (the axis aren't correct, have to fix that)

Sometimes when I try to run your script I get this error inside Maya --> Error .fileTextureName

What can I do? Textures aren't necessary, I will apply them later

bindPose2 can be easily fixed if you renmae bindPose1 to bindPose2.

If I remember correctly bindPose is the skin attached to the model. Don't know why bindPose2 and not bindPose1

Another questions, on what depends which mesh the exporter select to export? I would like to controll it.

DarkPhoenixX said:
Sometimes when I try to run your script I get this error inside Maya --> Error .fileTextureName
What can I do? Textures aren't necessary, I will apply them later

This is caused because the script is trying to lookup a shader node to put a shader name in the header of the .md5mesh file.

It may not be needed by your engine - if not, just replace line 475 with the following
//string $path=getTexture($mesh);
string $path = "noshader";

As stated earlier, line 376 should probably refer to bindPose1 instead of bindPose2.

Other than that the script is working for me in maya 2012.

BTW - The original www.zbufferstudios.com also seems to work, but is limited to just one mesh.

Thank you for adding support for multiple meshes.
1 Like

Optimisticmonkey as you said zbufferstudios.com exporter seem to work by limited to just one mesh… Do you have another exporter which can be use for multiple mesh exporter?

I’m doing a character customizing script for my game just having trouble to export from MAYA 2012 with multiple mesh.

Any hints or tips ?

Yes - The exporter linked to by the original poster in the first post works for multiple meshes…

http://digitus.itk.ppke.hu/~szada/md5exp.zip

BTW -

You may need to rename bindPose2 to bindPose1 on line 376

and change line 475 to:

string $path = “noshader”;

Other than that it works great in Maya 2012

i tried this pluggin and always get error:No object matches name.

if i make thechanges in the shader i get error too, i’m using maya2012, any help in the procedure to make it work?

What about .obj? A friend exported one of his static models as .obj and I managed to put it into jMonkey with full texture. Some normals were wrong but I guess that’s a mistake he did.

Edit: Apparently .obj doesn’t support animations.

Any reason that you’re intent on using MD5 as a format, @joselalupa? .obj works great for static models and jME works very well with animated OGRE meshes!