MMORPG-demo

beautiful game :stuck_out_tongue: I haven't seen such game for years :slight_smile: Can't wait. :slight_smile:

Nice GUI… did you code it yourself?

Before I start making comments and inquiries, I will clarify on my rather direct approach beforehand: I have seen too many grand "MMO" endeavors to just stand by and see more of them come and go. So, please let me know if you are getting tired of my nit-picking, but until you are, I will constantly be scratching surfaces and lifting rocks to get a clear picture of this project and your vision for it.

What is your scope? -  How big a playerbase are you aiming at? Multiple servers or all in one? How will you manage hosting? How big will the game world be?; make comparisons. What is the main content, quests? How many? How long would it take me on average to have basically played through all of your available content? How many years of development time have you set aside? What quantity of 3D content are we looking at?

How big is your team? - Are you the only programmer? Have you covered the other essential departments, such as management, design and art? Are you planning to make use of any third-party services, such as middleware, pre-made content or freelancers?

What stage in development are you at? - In pre-production? Got a complete design document yet? What about other docs, like the technical design, and the art design? Any prototypes done yet? for viewing or playable?

Really nice GUI though :slight_smile:

duenez said:

Nice GUI... did you code it yourself?

Thanks!

No, I use FengGUI. :D

This project is fully my and i need help in many parts of the project and documentation.

erlend_sh said:

What is your scope? -  How big a playerbase are you aiming at? Multiple servers or all in one? How will you manage hosting? How big will the game world be?; make comparisons. What is the main content, quests? How many? How long would it take me on average to have basically played through all of your available content? How many years of development time have you set aside? What quantity of 3D content are we looking at?

I use all in one server, but in future will multiple servers.
I go to create a three maps in beggining.
I took four months alone.
All content,this is just a demo and I am only in the build.

erlend_sh said:

How big is your team? - Are you the only programmer? Have you covered the other essential departments, such as management, design and art? Are you planning to make use of any third-party services, such as middleware, pre-made content or freelancers?

Yes, I am the only programmer.
i didn't cover other departments fully.
No, I don't have planning to this.

erlend_sh said:

What stage in development are you at? - In pre-production? Got a complete design document yet? What about other docs, like the technical design, and the art design? Any prototypes done yet? for viewing or playable?

In prototype-producton.
All design documents are in production.
This prototype is to playable.

erlend_sh said:

Really nice GUI though :)

Thanks! 
eric_pardal said:
This prototype is playable.

Really? How? As in just playing around with the menu you mean, or have you created some terrain for the player to walk around in as well?
Quote:
This project is fully my and i need help in many parts of the project and documentation.
(...)
Yes, I am the only programmer.
i didn't cover other departments fully.
No, I don't have planning to this.
Then, why did you choose to make an MMO? Is it the type of game you enjoy playing the most? This might sound harsh, but you do realize that being all alone in this, and having spent 4 months to get this GUI going, you're looking at 10-15 years of development if you stick to it by yourself, which is quite likely because a lot of talented people shy away from MMOs, because they've been hurt before.

I am just saying, it looks like you know your way around some Java already, but why jump right on the MMO monster? How about a 5 minute gameplay, top-down 3d zelda-style RPG adventure first? :)

I am development an editor to terrain of llama-terra with texture splatting and to my extension of llama-terra to load static models and texture splatting in terrain.

After this, I go to develop a better ingame, then I put the screenshots of ingame. :slight_smile:

I am without time to do all at the same time. I also work.  :wink:

Then, why did you choose to make an MMO? Is it the type of game you enjoy playing the most? This might sound harsh, but you do realize that being all alone in this, and having spent 4 months to get this GUI going, you're looking at 10-15 years of development if you stick to it by yourself, which is quite likely because a lot of talented people shy away from MMOs, because they've been hurt before.

I am just saying, it looks like you know your way around some Java already, but why jump right on the MMO monster? How about a 5 minute gameplay, top-down 3d zelda-style RPG adventure first? Smiley

@erlend_sh: [glow=red,2,300]???[/glow] What the heck??? Even you are maybe right, let him do, what he wants to do....
ttrocha said:

@erlend_sh: [glow=red,2,300]???[/glow] What the heck??? Even you are maybe right, let him do, what he wants to do....
I have already made it clear that the moment he's had enough of me he may say so and I'll have nothing more to say here. I am sure if this is really what he wants to do, nothing I say will stop him.

I don't want to turn Erick's thread off topic; I will address you fully in private.

well, but this is a community, and therefore one of its purposes is to exchange experience.

And developing a MMORPG is a task of

10-15 years of development
if you are the only developer.

Of course many people want to develop a MMO, but as said its a fuc**n hard task.

And being plain-talking, i guess you will agree that a one-man-MMO-development is [nearly] impossible! Its a fact.

Take a look at one of the biggest jme-projects around: Poisonville.

They are developing for over a year now, having development costs of about1.000.000

The above advice is rational but I don't necessarily agree. It depends on your situation and goals.

Most people here never finish their project regardless of how limited in scope.

The percentage completeness of an incomplete project has little meaning.

The amount of work done and number of challenges overcome does have value to the programmer.

Therefore reducing the scope does not make sense unless you are equally motivated to do the smaller project.

With a lone project you have to provide motivation to work aswell as the work itself, so do what inpires you.

Good luck!

This will be my final project of the University. I have 3 years to build.

And I have other basic project a online University.

I go to finish this work, because that'll be spreading my knowledges.