Monkey World 3D - any alternative

Hello there!

I recently tried Monkey World 3D, but it does not run on my linux machine (Kubuntu 9.10).

• Tried to compile from source
  • Tried to send e-mail to Monkey World 3D Team
  • Tried on IRC -> there is not active channel any more

Problem: Shows splash -> does NOT put any error and shows little dialog window with no content.

So my two questions are:

1.) What are the alternatives to generate terrain pages like in mw3d? What do you use to make a height map based maps?

2.) Is MW3D still alive?

Hi!

I have the same problem as you. And I don't find solution for mw3d. But, for generating a map, their are many alternatives. Look side "com.jmex.terrain.util" package, and "jmetest.terrain" for eg. You can create a raw image as terrain with any picture editor too.

some time ago I tried it,too. There were several problems using it so I decided to wait for a later more mature version of it. Obviously nothing happened. What a pitty…

prich said:
1.) What are the alternatives to generate terrain pages like in mw3d? What do you use to make a height map based maps?
I take it you're talking about a visual editor that lets you shape and mold your terrain with various brushes and such? Of which I'm aware of, for jME2, there are two promising projects still active:

Sandbox
The scene / terrain editor in use by DarkPhoenixX in his 'Ankhel' project. It seems he has made some great strides with his project, so I hope we will see the newest release of his editor soon.

Jupiter
pgi made some very promising headway with his now-deceased middle-ware project. To my understanding he has now working on scratch to realize the second iteration of this editor.

In closing, Sandbox will probably be your best bet if you want an editor to play with as soon as possible.

There have been some other projects lying around that focused on a couple simple tasks and did those tasks well; MomokoFan's 'WorldTool' comes to mind. Problem is I don't know where the latest code is, and whether it is still compatible with the latest revision of jME2.

2.) Is MW3D still alive?
It has been lying dormant for a while and I don't see any indication that development will resume, so no.

World Tool seems to be exactly what i was looking for… Is the code not avalible any more?

prich said:

World Tool seems to be exactly what i was looking for... Is the code not avalible any more?
Well there's the world tool in our old game project; I suppose there's no other more up to date version of it. Like I said, I've no clue whether it still works with jME2, and since it's an abandoned project it wouldn't be the best use of anyone's time if you need additional help getting it working.

Rather bug DarkPhoenixX about Sandbox I'd say :P

I was experimenting the FreeWorld3d, with the option of importation in ASCII, but it is commercial.