MonkeyWorld 3D Version 4.1

MonkeyWorld 3D 4.1 is now available for download. We don’t call this a final release yet, because we all know too good, that there are still issues in this release.

Many thanks go to all the people, who have made this version possible. Special thanks go to Tareq (Outrunner) for his continued commitment to the project and his great ideas and effort he has put in this release. Also many thanks to Lutz (BlackBlueGL) for his amazing Dolly Cam and his help in ironing out many nasty terrain issues. And of course Edgar (Duenez) for his help to make MonkeyWorld 3D work well under Linux and Mac.

Click here to get the release notes: New and noteworthy

Click here for the downloads: Download MonkeyWorld 3D 4.1

Click here to go to our site: MonkeyWorld 3D

Vardamir said:

golden_jubilee said:

i was surprisesd, linux 64 bit and it works!

after playing around i have to say, very good work  :D

Thanks!

Eclipse does not work in 64bit java out of the box (and MW3D actually is eclipse). The workaround can be found in the mw3d.ini, just in case you want to run eclipse in a 64bit environment, put those lines in your eclipse.ini :D

sure? since a year i use fluxbuntu 64 bit and eclipse 3.3, 3.3 ee and since june 3.4  without problems

Congratulations, I downloaded it and it has really matured since the latest release!

Great of you to convert it into such an easy install package.

When I find the time, I'll try to create some video tutorials.

Nice! Congratulations!

Some points I noticed while testing:

• It's hard sometimes to find stuff in the view. A "look at" context menu entry would be good.
  • How can I turn on physics? The "play/stop" button does not seem to do anything with my dynamic nodes. Or: where can I add gravity?
  • a deleted terrain reappeared after save, load

Hi all,

Thanks guys for this, means a lot for us.

@irrisor

Physics is active by default with the editor, also the gravity is already applied. Play/stop button will actually enbale and disable the physics in the update. I will test it again to see this, may be something got messed while we were finalizing and we didn't test it. But it might be also due to the fact the dynamic physics nodes are created with gravity enabled setted to false. To make sure that this is not happening, try to create a dynamic sphere, and select in the editor, from the properties view, make sure that you its gavity aware. I will double check that again irrisor.

It's hard sometimes to find stuff in the view. A "look at" context menu entry would be good.

We will try to make things more clearer, yub its hard to deal with physics at the mean time, we will do our best.

a deleted terrain reappeared after save, load

Will check that tonight as well, and try to fix it.

@Methius
Thanks a lot for this in advace it will be really great to have some cool vedios like what you have done sometime ago, it was really clear and for sure helped a lots of users.

I also want to say: great thanks goes for Andreas "Vardamir" how have made this release what it is now. He rocked it as well, most of the stuff was due to his vision, and hard work.

There some vedios about the latest release, they are not so high quality, but they might say something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAU7Vsmx4I0 Terrain painting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HX1uCMAFTY Camera with spatial transformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTXKzUWwi-w Lights management.

Also our wiki is being updated from time to time, and you might find it usefull as well

http://www.monkeyworld3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Thanks.

Outrunner said:
But it might be also due to the fact the dynamic physics nodes are created with gravity enabled setted to false.

yep, that's it! Things are falling through the terrain, though... and how can I get them back up? Altering local translation has only temporary effect - as soon as I turn on physics the old position is restored (which usually means the update cycle (physics/updateGeometricState) is not correct).

Outrunner said:

It's hard sometimes to find stuff in the view. A "look at" context menu entry would be good.

We will try to make things more clearer, yub its hard to deal with physics at the mean time, we will do our best.

I'm not sure you understood me right. I meant: It is hard so point the camera at a selected spatial - maybe you can add an action for it.

Anyways, nice playground! :)

Qs:

• On AlphaState: the functions are now referenced by number… Which is which?
  • How can I set the key movement speed sensitivity?

Rest:
  • I made a specific CAD cube style controller box for a project of mine.

http://www.lumenon.nl/P14/11.jpg

I’ll try to extract the code and compile it into a test class. Maybe this is an good extra way to control the camera?

I just download mw3d-4.1-linux-installer.bin and did install it. But i can't run it.

> file mw3d

mw3d: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.4, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

It seems its the wrong binary!?

Hi,

@irrisor

Great man, and glad that worked dispite that bug :(. I will fix that asap.

More intersting stuff that I have tried with physics, but not that much is combining spatial transformation with static nodes, plus adding some dynamic nodes to the scene, and things can get really intersting.

I'm not sure you understood me right. I meant: It is hard so point the camera at a selected spatial - maybe you can add an action for it.

Yub I didn't get it, I thought an advice to revisit the context menu, and how items are organized :D. Will try to add that option, I think its very handy.

@Methius
On AlphaState: the functions are now referenced by number.. Which is which?

Mmm, some missing mapping elements went in there. Will fix this as well :D.

How can I set the key movement speed sensitivity?

Not in yet, but pretty easy to add. I think its a must to have those setting via preferences page.

I'll try to extract the code and compile it into a test class. Maybe this is an good extra way to control the camera?

Sure. A great thing about this release is plugablity of components, and sure camera handler is one of them, we can have an extra extension point to handle the camera with your own way, its pretty much easy to do. And don't need to change anything in the code, just simple plug-in, and that's all. Camera dolly is done this way. We will help in this if you wish to add it Methius. Thanks so much.

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Hi,

@madlion

I am sorry, I can not help. Is this all what the .log fine shows ? if not then if you can post if might be a better help. Vardamir or Edgar can help better than me on the linux issues. If you have 64-bit system, make sure you download mw3d-4.1-linux-x64-installer.bin. there is one on the download site, if thats the issue. This might be it though.

Thanks.

I can't ran the binary so no log file is written.

If i try to run i get…

bash: ./mw3d: cannot execute binary file

I have a 32bit system but it seems the binary is for a 64bit system.

haven't looked at it yet but what version of jme is it written for i still use jme1and the xml format is it hevee's new xml the old removed xml or something custom

Also, where can I set which bucket the node is rendered in? (Transparent Opaque etc)

Hi,

@mcbeth

The editor currently uses jMe 1, plus you can open both old jme xml formate, and havee's new xml formate :D. If you have a file with the old jMe formate, make sure that you give it extention .xml, if you use havee's, make sure to give .nxml formate. To open one of those files, right click on that file, that is imported into the work space, and open with spatial editor. If every thing went good, then you should see scene, from there, you still can save with the three formates by choosing save as ( binar, xml, nxml ).

@Methius

Also, where can I set which bucket the node is rendered in? (Transparent Opaque etc)

Not yet, but activating the alpha state will put it automatically in the transparent queue. But will be a great option to add. Thanks Methius.

Thanks for the great feedback.

@irrisor

as soon as I turn on physics the old position is restored (which usually means the update cycle (physics/updateGeometricState) is not correct).

I just tried it here localy and it seems to be working fine, I have tried with the fee selection tool, plus changing the local translation of the containing dynamic node from the proeprties view, and both are working fine ?

Can you tell how did you do it please ?

Thanks.
madlion said:

I can't ran the binary so no log file is written.
If i try to run i get...
bash: ./mw3d: cannot execute binary file

I have a 32bit system but it seems the binary is for a 64bit system.

I see, so the installer did run finally? But the mw3d executable is 64bit. Oops, that is true, its the eclipse executable. If you have eclipse installed, you can try to copy the eclipse executable and rename it to mw3d, this might work. I don't have a 32bit linux, so i cant really test it.

Right the installer finally run.

Ok i will try to use the eclipse executable.

madlion said:

Right the installer finally run.
Ok i will try to use the eclipse executable.

I've tried it, it does not work unfortunatly. I will try to create the executable, and if successfull, will replace the 32bit installer then

What does the terrain save as? Is it easily imported into JME 1.0?

would consider md5 loading for characters collada doesn’t really work for some, me included. Neakor’s is the most stable one

I think there is also code for loading md5 cameras…somewhere…I can see this being useful for realtime movies/cutscene development