MonkeyWorld 3D Version 4.1

Hey guys, when I install the monkeyworld3d in the path c:program filemw3d-4.1, I can not see the textures in the textures dialog, but when I install in the path c:monkeyworld3d I can see the textures.

Maybe this be the same problem of Lay_Beside_Me.

Excuse me by the bad english, I'm Brazilian.

fabioluizfs said:

Hey guys, when I install the monkeyworld3d in the path c:program filemw3d-4.1, I can not see the textures in the textures dialog, but when I install in the path c:monkeyworld3d I can see the textures.
Maybe this be the same problem of Lay_Beside_Me.

Excuse me by the bad english, I'm Brazilian.

exactly, wherever I put the files I cannot see. :S

Ah, yes, this is a known issue, the workspace may not contain spaces. And still there are some hardcoded references to the installation directory, so you better put the application in a path without spaces.

Vardamir said:

Ah, yes, this is a known issue, the workspace may not contain spaces. And still there are some hardcoded references to the installation directory, so you better put the application in a path without spaces.

what do you mean by "not contain spaces".

I set up the MonkeyWorld to my C:\Program Files directory, and workspace is in this.

C:\ProgramFilesmonkeyWorldworkspace

in this situation, where should I put these model files, or textures.

and a question too.

when I import the .obj files to the project in this tool, how could I use of .mtl files. actually how could I do that in the monkeyWorld setting .mtl property of model.obj ????

thanks a lot.

FW3D's author up-and-skeedaddled from his project, so now I'm looking for a good reliable Terrain Editor. Can't even seem to create a blank slate of terrain… any documentation up yet?

Looking for an easy way to map our terrain… I wrote a tile-loader based on RawHeightMaps and I'd love to just be able to adapt that, if at all possible. Any suggestions?

Here's a documentation on how to create a terrain with MW3D: http://www.monkeyworld3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Terrain_editing

I wanted to take a look at FreeWorld3D lately. Is it that from freeworld.org you are referring to? I was wondering why the website didn't work.

We are currently trying to improve MW3D on the usability side. The Radakan project helps with that task a lot. Your feedback is more then welcome too. Maybe its time to create a task force for that :smiley:

Take a look at this post: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=9015.0

Maybe you can write a little review for FW3D there.

The only things I don't like about MW3D's terrain editor:

• you can't manipulate multiple pages at once and export them all (like Radakan's WorldTool can)...

• the smooth tool does strange things. I would like it to behave more like FW3D, which will be hard to demonstrate since the site has been shut down...

• I see some strange blue thing over the terrain?

• The controls are a little choppy... land comes up in chunks instead of smoothly.

However it is great to see it have a terrain editor! The old version of MW3D didn't even have it, and I am so glad to have this come around right as FW3D decides to get up and run away...

EDIT: is there any documentation on how the object is exported, or how it should be imported into our game? Does it simply export a .jme that we can import as a spatial or a node?

Hey Trussel look at this topic

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=9030.0

I had the same dubt.

Trussell said:
    The only things I don't like about MW3D's terrain editor:
    • I see some strange blue thing over the terrain?

ehm, this is the Z-plane ;) We still dont know, if this was a good decision to do it this way, but the old grid was too small.

Hi,

you can't manipulate multiple pages at once and export them all (like Radakan's WorldTool can)...

Actually we have added the support to manipulate multiple terrain pages, both texturing, and editing then via the tools, the only thing that we will need is to provide the wizards, and the actions for creating those terrain pages. I actually have tried that locally. Doing this is not an easy task, because all the tools have to be aware of multiple terrain pages, and one of them has to be active at a time, but its very doable.

# the smooth tool does strange things. I would like it to behave more like FW3D, which will be hard to demonstrate since the site has been shut down...

The smooth tool works better on low radius. But I don't know how the FW3D has done it.

If I export something in .jme format is it going to come into the world already textured? If I place models in MW3D, will the models be part of the .jme geometry? I assume that the textures / models need to be included in the game files, so how do I configure pointers from the .jme export to my model folders in my game?

I think the terrain-editor should take from WorldTool. MW3D’s current editor creates ugly terrains (no offense, it really is a brilliant program and I am very glad that it exists) that have many divets and rough-spots. If you watch Radakan’s WorldTool video (or any videos of FW3D) or even this VERY early version of WorldTool you’ll notice how quickly / smoothly you are able to mold the terrain.

If I export something in .jme format is it going to come into the world already textured? If I place models in MW3D, will the models be part of the .jme geometry? I assume that the textures / models need to be included in the game files, so how do I configure pointers from the .jme export to my model folders in my game?

The terrain question has already been answered by fabioluizfs. For the model's textures, as you're the one importing the models into MW3D, you have access to the textures somewhere on your drive, you just have to make sure to properly set-up resource locators to that texture folder.