MonkeyWorld3D RCP

Hi,

Well  :cry: , due to unfortunate update, I was taking it for granted that the imports facility will work, but its not working, and yes, I should have tested it before, but … .  Ok learned my lesson, better safe than sorry.

I am working on it right now and will upload it.

Is there a dependancy on eclipse or should it work as a standalone application?

steveyO their is no dependency, it should start up, may be because I have compiled the code with java 6, but setted up the compliency to 5, which must work, let me try it on 5, but needs to download stuff first.

Ok guys, here is the fixed version for the import stuff. I also committed the fixes to SVN, if any one is intersted.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=144749

MonkeyWorld3D-v4-win.zip 

Sorry for the inconvience.

PS: Please keep the refresh as a habet when you import models for now.

Their are some docs comming, its just needs some more finalization, its like a small guide for use to use the spatial editor.

Oh and try to piss the man off like I did.  :mrgreen:

Ok,  Still no luck…  I googled the "No application id has been found" and appears quite a lot but didnt find an obvious solution…

Appears to be an eclipse issue (related to the config.ini) but not sure, tried a few different settings but didnt solve. 

For the record am using Windows and Java 5.  If anyone has any ideas then feel free to suggest.  Not familiar with RCP myself.

May have another look tomorrow when less tired!

The relevant error here is:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 2007-03-10 21:34:00.687
!MESSAGE Could not install bundle plugins/MonkeyWorld3D_1.0.0.jar   No Bundle-NativeCode match

Since the plugin cannot be installed, the RCP runtime cannot find an entry point (defined in the application id).

My guess is that the java.library.path is not defined for the application (it should be set in the product configuration file - maybe monkeyworld3d.product - in the launcher tab -> launching arguments -> VM arguments - specific for each platform)

Or maybe a  DLL or JNI (mentioned in the NativeCode part of the Manifest) cannot be loaded (it must not be in a jar for instance, but instead at the root of the plugin).

As a side note, RCP is very useful and powerful, but I've found that a very significant amount of my time is spent on building issues such as this one...

steveyO, actually I forget to tell that I have tried it on java 5, and it worked very well.  Wish you luck with the it, and hopefully those mistakes will be gone from future releases.  Aside, I think you have to put Windows 2000, and not Windows2000.

Another different post, its about the docs :D.

All I have uploaded the very humble and simple user guide ever.

The download link is the same http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=144749  but download  ( MonkeyWorld3D-SpatialEditor_0.1.pdf ). Its not complete in any mean, but will aid you to quickly start with the editor with its current shape.  So I just wish it will be helpfull. We will try our best to put it more and more docs with time. 

Also as a side note, which must be said, we have used some stuff from the jme docs, and wiki ( Especially with states illustration ), so thaaaanks alot for the devs, and the guys whome have put those in.  Of course if the jme devs, or docs owners oppeses this, it will be removed immediatly. And of course, its quoted where we have taken from.

Still this guide doesn't say alot about what are the current capbilities of the editor, still the lightining section, and the spatial transformation is missing from it, which it really quite cool.

Please let us know if you have anything, and please enjoy it.

–Outrunner.

will there be a linux version of monkeyworld3d ???

regards Sue

will there be a linux version of monkeyworld3d Huh?

+1 for a linux version

Outrunner the link you gave refers to a 03/09/2007 version, seems to be the first RCP. did you really upload the new one with fixed spatial importer ?

Your model example is really funky. I want it.  :D 

Ok,  Still no luck..  I googled the "No application id has been found" and appears quite a lot but didnt find an obvious solution..
Appears to be an eclipse issue (related to the config.ini) but not sure, tried a few different settings but didnt solve. 

Well I think The Librarian is right about that.

Or maybe a  DLL or JNI (mentioned in the NativeCode part of the Manifest) cannot be loaded (it must not be in a jar for instance, but instead at the root of the plugin).

This might be the problem, if you take a look at this file:

https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/monkeyworld3d/trunk/MonkeyWorld3D/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

Their you will find an entry about the NativeCode that the work bench will load during the start up, the problem that I can think of of the end of the line:

;osname=WindowsXP; processor=x86

May be you are running on a defferent OS other than XP. We have made a quick search for this, and didn't include others, but I am still not sure if this is the problem.  May be you can unzip the MonkeyWorld3D_1.0.0.jar ( Under plugins directory ), and supstitue your OS name, then rejar it with the same name, and try again, may be this will solve the problem.  But again I am not sure of that.

Outrunner the link you gave refers to a 03/09/2007 version

This is for the context of version 4, and NOT the files upload dates :).  The one up now is the fixed one.

About the linux stuff, I have a problem right now with my linux box, and can't seem to access to the XServer, in which will not allow me to build it :(, sorry guys, but I promiss to do my best in the upcomming few days. Still the option to build it on linux is their.

Ok thanks for the replies Librarian, Outrunner.  I am running Windows2000 so I will try the unziping and re-jarring later tonight and let you know how it went on.

It appears a few people have managed to get this working…  For those that manage it may be an idea to mention their Java Version and OS to help isolate the problem.

I am running Eclipse 3.1.1 myself so initially thought there may be  conflict but I dont have any eclipse stuff on my path so cant see how that is causing me probs…  Anyway, as mentioned will try later, and let u know…

Ta again.!

Me again, Sorry no luck,  I tried both Windows 2000 and Windows2000 in the Manifest file (and rejarred .jar file) and same result (didnt really expect this to work tho tbh).

I have a nasty feeling (I hope I am wrong) RCP is looking at values in the Registry…

I quickly tried de-compiling the PlatformActivator class to find how it calculates the application id (I assume this is where my exception is thrown)… I traced this to the following code (InternalPlatform.class)…

public String getApplicationId()

{

if(applicationId != null)

return applicationId;

applicationId = commandLineProperties.getProperty("eclipse.application");

return applicationId;

applicationId = context.getProperty("eclipse.application");

return applicationId;

IProduct eclipseProduct = getProduct();

if(eclipseProduct != null)

applicationId = eclipseProduct.getApplication();

return applicationId;

}

Interestingly, if I put eclipse.applicaiton=3.2.1 (or similar) in the config.ini I get a completely different error (this time a 11*.log file in the configuration folder), saying it could not find 3.2.1 in the registry… Scary.  At this point I gave up…  Sorry been debugging all day at work, fed up with it…Need a break from Java… Aaaghh. Zzzz

Outrunner said:

steveyO, actually I forget to tell that I have tried it on java 5, and it worked very well.  Wish you luck with the it, and hopefully those mistakes will be gone from future releases.  Aside, I think you have to put Windows 2000, and not Windows2000.

Quickly: WinXP, Sun Java 1.6, AMD64 with MW3D v4 works for me.

Without that native code match the monkeyworld jar is never loaded so "no application id has been found" makes sense. Here's the common osname line to include all versions of windows:

osname="WindowsXP";osname="Windows2000";osname="Windows2003";osname="Windows Server 2003";osname="WindowsNT";osname="Windows98";osname="Windows95"

I noticed his native language is set to en_GB, but a "language=" line isn't present in the Bundle-NativeCode line. I wonder if this may have something to do with it? Sounds like a long shot to me, but you never know. From the Where Are You From thread JME has quite a geographic spread , have any non-language="en" users run MonkeyWorld3D successfully from the binary download?

p.s. Great work with MW3D!

Edit:

I didn't notice the previous post about setting up MonkeyWorld3D source code:
Monkey World 3D source code available

Are there instructions on how to setup MonkeyWorld3D from the SVN:
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/monkeyworld3d/trunk/MonkeyWorld3D/

I checked it out in Eclipse using Subclipse, configuring it as a new Plugin-In project, that is going to be a Rich Client Platform (RCP) plugin.

Then I added all the jar's from the lib/ directory, and set the native library location to lib/ for the lwjgl.jar.

To launch the application, I opened up the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF with Eclipse's Plug-in Manifest Editor (should be the default but if not right click and select Open With >> Plug-in Manifest Editor).

In the editor on the right side underneath the Testing header there is a link that says "Launch an Eclipse Application", click that and you're ready to rock!

When I downloaded the latest MonkeyWorld3D code from the SVN I noticed that it needed Java 6, because there is code in CreatePredefinedParticles.java and CreatePredefinedParticleCommand.java that uses the String isEmpty() method, which is apparently only in Java 6.

To keep with Java 5 compatibility I think the developers could change the s.isEmpty() to (s.length()==0):

CreatePredefinedParticles.java

package com.mw3d.swt.ui.editors.actions.particle;

/**
 * Action to create a particle with predefined attriubtes
 * like fire, and stuff like that.
 * @author Tareq doufish
 */
public class CreatePredefinedParticles extends BaseSelectionListenerAction {
   /**
    * Main method to engage.
    */
   public void run() {
      // no need to create anything if its null or empty.
      if (type == null || type.isEmpty())
         return;
        }
}

To

package com.mw3d.swt.ui.editors.actions.particle;

/**
 * Action to create a particle with predefined attriubtes
 * like fire, and stuff like that.
 * @author Tareq doufish
 */
public class CreatePredefinedParticles extends BaseSelectionListenerAction {
   /**
    * Main method to engage.
    */
   public void run() {
      // no need to create anything if its null or empty.
      if (type == null || type.length()==0)
         return;
        }
}

Thanks alot lazlohf the configus, I have committed them. 

I don't really know about the language stuff, but might be thu, I think it needs more searching. Thanks alot for bringing this up, I really didn't know about it.

@dougnukem , the changes are committed, thanks alot.

Outrunner said:

Thanks alot lazlohf the configus, I have committed them. 
I don't really know about the language stuff, but might be thu, I think it needs more searching. Thanks alot for bringing this up, I really didn't know about it.

Welcome, though it's a pretty small bit of help considering all the work you've done  :)  I'm currently interviewing for an eclipse plugin dev job, hopefully I'll get it (should know Tuesday) and be able to contribute a lot more once I've gotten some more eclipse innards down.

Good luck lazlohf.

Guys, I like this image, and I think you will like it too  :D, its the initial particle integration in the spatial editor. You can now mix the particles with your geometry and see some very nice results.

Hi all,

Linux version available.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=144749&package_id=224594  (MonkeyWorld3DV4-linux.tar.gz).

Please let us know if you have any issue.

Thanks.

–Outrunner.