MonkeyWorld3D

Hey Per.

Did you get my private message I send you?

We thought that MarbleFun will be the perfect testing environment to test

the editor with! That is why we want to ask you if you will have the time to

extreme test the editor, before we release it?

Can you please contact me on my private mail, because I don't think the

private messaging of this forum works?

I had totally missed that PM, but I sent a reply now.

I'd love to do the testing with you, but I probably won't have the time to get everything up and running within this short timeframe (you said you wanted to release MonkeyWorld on monday(?)) – I havn't even got Marble Fun ported to the latest jME and jME-physics versions :).

This is no problem.

You can just try to create some levels that you think you will be able to

use in MarbleFun. Even if you are not going to use them, I just want to see

whether you'll be able to use it!

Yes Per as tGiant said thats no problem, any way, you will be tied to the editor data model, so i think you will not try to migrate to this new data model,  you just have you models, sounds, textures, and you are ready to

go and use the editor,

also we are very eager to know how much time its going to take you ( As a designer knowing exaclty what is he going to create ).

For the latest jMe stuff, the editor is up to date with the physics and jMe. also we provided a facility simple game, like the one in the SimpleGame, where you will be able to test your levels.

Thank you very much for this Per. and believe me you will have a lots of fun using it.

will you consider including the ability to define cameraNode or atleast emptynode placement / orientation in this or the next release, I still have trouble with the local and world translation thing and it would be great to be able to set dummys visually that I can access by code later would be a great help

thanks in advance

Yes, I think this is going to save me lots of time. I'll try to keep a log of my time spent and accomplishments :slight_smile:

Hi mcbeth

Yes we will consider adding this ability. It will basically just be another level of entity.

Well, I hope you people will use this application, because at the end of the day it

will make level design so much faster for the designer. And now you don't have to

level the level design to the programmer, but rather to the graphics artists… :smiley:

Okey, I'm sitting here with the preview build you gave me, and I must say I'm overall very impressed – you guys have come a long way.

Here's my spontaneous reaction:

Good stuff:

• Nice splash screen.

• Feels very responsive.

• Looks freakin great :)

Bad stuff:

• You need to enable alt-navigation on the top menu.

• This is probably a SWT limitation, but I'm sitting on a laptop with insanely high DPI and have thus turned up the font size. This makes the bottom of text in the text-fields to get chopped off.

• Most other 3D-editors seem to have different views (side, top, 3D). I miss this, especially when you are about to move objects.

• I tried creating a box but didn't find a way to edit it's size (just scale).

• The scrolling text in the "about" dialog left weird trails.

Another nice feature would be if there was some sort of structure representing the scene-tree.

Anyhow, keep it up guys! :)

Thanks Per for the nice feedback.

Most other 3D-editors seem to have different views (side, top, 3D). I miss this, especially when you are about to move objects.

Well this was just not planned for the first release of the editor, but i think it will be very helpfull if we enclude it, any way realityintertactive supprts multiple opengl context, and i think it might be affordable making it, but it need quit a good working time.

I tried creating a box but didn't find a way to edit it's size (just scale).

Currently their is no way of controlling the attributes of the jMe primitves, like boxes, and pheres, just the scale is working, besides other transformation attributes, if this is needed, we will add it Per, honestly we were concentrating and the managibility of the 3d models, more than the primitves, thats way its like that.
About other wierd stuff, we will fix them asap.

Thanks you Per for doing this, and very glad that you found it nice, please keep pushing it as much as you can.
Most other 3D-editors seem to have different views (side, top, 3D). I miss this, especially when you are about to move objects.

Regarding this feature. Our main objective for the editor was that this would not be a 3D-Editor, but rather a
game editor. With this I mean you will design levels for games, and thus you need the camera to move directly in 3D mode and move objects
in 3d mode. Manipulation of the mesh itself was not our idea. You can do precise movements of entities in the transformation section of a
selected entity.
Ofcourse we are openminded about this feature, so if you think it is required, we can probably give it as an option.

Another nice feature would be if there was some sort of structure representing the scene-tree.

This is also very do-able and we might extend the main scene manager tree to do this.
You won't be able to select the child nodes of a model for example and move it. This will make our job so much harder and
saving of the levels will become a problem!

Overall, I can just say thank you so much for helping us test this.  ;)

About the design choice you've taken, it seems rather sensible. I havn't looked into Blender and its jme exporter very much, but I guess it'll do these things for me. The thing is that I'll probably arrange the scene there to… what I will use this editor for WRT Marble Fun, is to map physical properties to the graphics.

I'll also try to test the terrain editor later today.

I havn't had that much experience with 3D-editors before, so I think you can get more usable feedback about naviagation and such from some design-guru here, like snaga.

Thanks man.

If you are done with a level, will you please send it to me?

I would really love to see what you can come up with.

If mapping physics to graphics then you can design the whole static scene in a 3D tool, if you like, and

just import that into MW3D. Then just make the dynamic object seperate! And import them!

Snaga, if you are geen, will you want to test the editor this week?

tGiantLabs said:

If you are done with a level, will you please send it to me?

Sure :)

Okey, tried on the terrain editor. Here's my experience:

Getting started:

• The different brushes didn't seem to work

Hi Per.

Almost all the glitches you came up with was because of the fact that you have a lack of

how the editor works. This is normal, because we haven't provided a starter guide.

Fair enought we have some other problems, but here is what's wrong:

The different brushes didn't seem to work
tGiantLabs said:

This is again a problem from the lack of knowing how the editor works. What you need to do
when you start the editor, is to create a new level. File->New
This will then create the level. Do all that you want with your level(terrain editing, textures, models, etc.) and
then try to save.
Maybe this is a problem from our side as well. We should maybe prompt the user for a new level, if no level
exist before he starts working on one? :D

Yes :) -- I still don't quite get how I was able to model a level without actually making one! Not very intuitive.

Overall, I am very glad that you are testing this, so that we can sort out
all these bugs that popup.
Thanks man.

Hey, no problem :).

I just remembered that I completely forgot to test the vegetation-generator! Got to try that as well.

Ok all jMe guys, no wait anymore  :smiley:

me and my partner are announcing the first

release of MonkeyWorld3d, here is the downloadable link

https://sourceforge.net/projects/monkeyworld3d

Notice we have included a user guide, that must be very

helpfull.

Please let us know what do you think about MonkeyWorld3d.

Your feedback is very appritiated.

Yay! You've made a sf project out of it, but the source doens't seem to be in the CVS?

Ya Per, we are just organizing some stuff, then the whole source code will be at your disposal.  :smiley:

well done guys…looks like a good addition to Jme