MonkeyZone assets : we need artists

So you are now all aware that we’d like to put some time into making a demo game with jME3.

But as you know…good games need pretty assets to look good heh :stuck_out_tongue:

This takes a lot of time/ideas/talent to achieve.

That’s why we need you, Monkeys!

If you want to contribute the assets of the game, please post your screen shots in this in this forum.

Post screen shots even if it’s WIP, Concept drawings or finished models.

We need, :

• Vehicles ( Combat or Support vehicles. They have to follow the idea of the tank and the buggy, a bit futuristic- screen shots bellow)

→ 1000 to 5000 tris, diffuse, normal, specular map of max 2048, optional glow map (can be lower resolution)
  • Buildings

→ 1000 to 1500 tris, diffuse, normal , specular map of max 1024, optional glow map (can be lower resolution)
  • Vegetation and rocks

→ must be low polygon, around 200, 300, can be a set of several objects, or reusable objects. diffuse, normal specular of max 512, optional glow map too (if you want to make Avatar like vegetation, but MonkeyZone is supposed to take place on earth…)
  • Terrain : must be done with terraMonkey, with diffuse and normal maps.
  • Nice skies cube maps in dds format preferably

I guess you’ve all seen the tank model, it was originally made for be used in this very game.

here are some screenies :

I made another model for the game, it’s a buggy :

Go monkey!! show the world you talent!! :wink:
2 Likes

Though we’re not trying to copy BattleZone by every pixel and poly, you’re welcome to have a look at the original set of assets for inspiration:

Battlezone - NSDA Units

Battlezone - CCA Units

Battlezone II - Units

So we discussed it a little bit more, and there is no more “takes place on earth” restriction, so go on with red trees an yellow skies… :smiley:

A few concepts I’ve worked up so far ( still wip’s )

Recycler vehicle:

Skybox Sky:

That skybox is sexy :slight_smile:

What’s the recycler vehicle for? (I may be showing my ignorance of how Battlezone works)

The skybox used for the buggy screenshots is also from Iwsquad

Those models look great! Particularly the lightning. Is it the “diffuse, normal, specular” that does that? I have never used any of those in my modeling and only have a small clue on what they mean and do.

Can you provide a download link to the Tank and/or Buggy? I would like to import them into jME and see them live :slight_smile:

Hey cool! An assets thread :smiley:

WASD said:
Can you provide a download link to the Tank and/or Buggy? I would like to import them into jME and see them live :)

Tank is already in jME, the Buggy is in the MonkeyZone svn.

sbook said:
What's the recycler vehicle for? (I may be showing my ignorance of how Battlezone works)

Its the mobile factory that you start with in a Battlezone game and plant somewhere to set up your base.
normen said:
Hey cool! An assets thread :D

Inside of an entire forum dedicated to MonkeyZone ;)

I think you can find people here: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/

I tried to overpaint the truck for lsquad. Take a look.

Also, i tried to overpaint skybox for lsquad. I think skybox is too dark…

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/monkeyzmsky1over.jpg/

mifth said:
I tried to overpaint the truck for lsquad. Take a look.

Interesting idea with the truck looks close to what I was imagining, I haven't had the time to sit down and start the texture process yet, but thanks for the added concept! :)

And about the dark sky, It was intended to be a dark type martian sky, something like a small planet or moon :)
mifth said:
Also, i tried to overpaint skybox for lsquad. I think skybox is too dark (...)
That "overpaint" is great, but it's really more of an "alternate take"; so different it might as well be a new skybox :)

Yeah, with the new SkyBox editor etc. in jMP it should be easy to create different settings and “levels”, like a night situation, a day situation, on mars, on earth, on moon etc etc. Later we could even think about making day/night cycles etc. with moving directional lights, transforming skyboxes etc.