[MORPG-TPS] Codename: Yotta - UPDATE: cool assets, cool code

Hello monkeys !
I am using jMonkeyEngine for a long time and I want to share my new project (which is the only one that I have done a good work ^^), it is actually not finished and very ugly because I have no cool 3D model to add or cool 2D art I found a 3D and 2D artist :smiley: .

It is a Multiplayer Online Role Play Game with a Third Person Shooter aspect, in fact I wanted to start a MMO, but in MMO there is the word “Massive” and I think I will never get many players so I prefer call it a MO :slight_smile: , but I try to design the game to support many players connected.

In this MORPG you have to aim the character in order to launch your spell on him, I think it add some fun especially with melee attacks it will be very agressive :stuck_out_tongue: (because with actual MMO you just need to click on the character and then roll your face on the keyboard to kill… there is no fun at all)

Here is the progress of the game: (of course all that things are network synchronized :slight_smile: and use many, many, many prediction)

• NPC Support (with attack and fallow target)
  • Animation sync support
  • Players (yes I know it is stupid to mention that players are supported, but well I wanted)
  • Support spells casting (it can take time to “load” or be casting directly), with delay before casting a new spell and with spell cooldown,… all these information are register in text file easy to load
  • XP support with up etc…
  • Ugly HUD (only text and some random image taking on the web for the spell) Beautiful HUD :smiley:
  • Drop support
  • Merchant NPC support
  • NPC have got an IA
  • Inventory support (but I actually don’t add the inventory window because I had a little bug at my beginning with tonegodGUI)
  • Of course, support physic
  • A begin of an editor

I know it is probably not a great work actually (I have started it 5 days ago and I work on it only to “relax” me after studying for my exams), but I wanted to show you my progress and, particularly, say a big THANKS to the jME3 community for their great engine and their great help.

Here is somescreenshots and a concept art (sorry I have not 2D art so the HUD is ugly, if you have some 2D art for the HP bar, etc… you can send it to me so I can add it for the test):

Well it is not a big big work actually but I will continue to work on it.
Again thank you jMonkeyEngine community !

6 Likes

Very nice start, especially getting the network part running and supporting anims.

NB: it’s “aim” in english… “vise” is a french word ^^.
NB2: lol @ the F*** blue box

@loopies said: Very nice start, especially getting the network part running and supporting anims.

NB: it’s “aim” in english… “vise” is a french word ^^.
NB2: lol @ the F*** blue box

Thank you man :slight_smile:

How can I edit my topic in order to correct “vise” (google traduction lied to me :frowning: ) ?

Check if there is an edit option in the top right corner of your first post in case it’s still there.
Otherwise, I think you could add update or upd or something to the url to edit it. … not really problematic though.

@toggy said: Thank you man :)

How can I edit my topic in order to correct “vise” (google traduction lied to me :frowning: ) ?

add /edit to the end of the topic’s url and hit enter to edit your post.

I missed this post somehow… this is really cool and I can wait to see how it progresses!

And lol @ fucking blue box… soooo something I would have done =)

As for the health bars… while your in the dev phase and just want a visual indicator… try this:

[java]
Indicator ind1 = new Indicator(
screen, “Ind1”, // You can exclude the uid if you don’t care what it is
new Vector2f(360, 360), // Change this to whatever position
Indicator.Orientation.HORIZONTAL
) {
@Override
public void onChange(float currentValue, float currentPercentage) {
// throw new UnsupportedOperationException(“Not supported yet.”);
}
};
ind1.setIndicatorColor(new ColorRGBA(0.75f,0.0f,0.0f,1.0f));
ind1.setAlphaMap(screen.getStyle(“Indicator”).getString(“alphaImg”)); // This reshapes the indicator to have rounded edges
ind1.setMaxValue(100); // Use this method to set max health, etc
ind1.setCurrentValue(70); // Call this method to update the current hp, mana, whatever
ind1.setDisplayValues(); // will show current over max in text on the indicator
[/java]

Thank you for the advice over the edit :slight_smile:

Thank you for your encouragement :slight_smile:

Thank you for the HP bar I will try it !

Here a little screenshot of a NPC with a 3D model and animation (you can see he is hitting me with his sword if you look good ^^ ):

It still a bit buggy because I do not write a NPC editor so my hitbox for spell is not totally good. LookAt do not give nice rotation I think, I will try to improve it.

Adding Indicator for graphical HP bar, mana bar and spell load bar :slight_smile: (and I discover image edit on imgur :stuck_out_tongue: )

Well I have a bug with tonegodGUI again ;(

When I replace “#0” by the name of the item, I can’t click on button :frowning:

Hello,
I have a bit played with the tonegod emitter system, so I test some effect when my spell is loading:

1 Like

Edited first post with new screen :slight_smile:
And I started to work on my world editor :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: I recognize that tree! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha yes :slight_smile:
This is why I said your stuff was so cool.

Do all the trees face the same way or is that my imagination? Varying their facing does a lot to make them look like different trees.

@pspeed said: Do all the trees face the same way or is that my imagination? Varying their facing does a lot to make them look like different trees.
I generate a j3o model, because I do not want to risk of having different models on server and on client. I know I could sync datas to build trees between server and clients but it will take some precious bandwidth and could cause a lagg to create the world in the client side, so the client prediction could have error :( .
@toggy said: I generate a j3o model, because I do not want to risk of having different models on server and on client. I know I could sync datas to build trees between server and clients but it will take some precious bandwidth and could cause a lagg to create the world in the client side, so the client prediction could have error :( .

No, that’s fine. One tree will work will I was just saying that if you rotating it around at different angles then it will look like more variation. Same tree just rotated different ways. You could send the rotation as part of the position data even… presuming you are sending position data from the server.

@pspeed said: No, that's fine. One tree will work will I was just saying that if you rotating it around at different angles then it will look like more variation. Same tree just rotated different ways. You could send the rotation as part of the position data even... presuming you are sending position data from the server.
Oh ok, I do not understand (sorry :( ). Yeah it is a very good idea ! Anyway I will generate other tree in order to be more various, but actually I do not care about graphical aspect, I prefer work on code.

Here is some update:
I added merchant NPC support:

I have also improve network sync, better NPC manager class and a loader for load the whole npc on the server.

Looking good.

Note: it really isn’t necessary to generate too many more trees unless you plan to have completely different types of trees. In all of my variation testing, I always use the same tree and just vary rotation and scale. So all of my pics of forests are just one tree rotated around and scaled up and down slightly (with a little random lean).

@pspeed said: Looking good.

Note: it really isn’t necessary to generate too many more trees unless you plan to have completely different types of trees. In all of my variation testing, I always use the same tree and just vary rotation and scale. So all of my pics of forests are just one tree rotated around and scaled up and down slightly (with a little random lean).

Ok then I will look for play with rotation :slight_smile: I will add random rotation in my world editor :slight_smile:

I see only now that I wrote “won’t” instead of “will” -_-’ sorry guys :frowning:
I have added Equipement manager and improve collision for spell, it is working perfectly now :smiley:

i have added some effect of jME in order to make the game more beautiful:
Post-Water, Depth Of Field, shadow, light scattering, SSAO and bloom :stuck_out_tongue:

Easy and fast, it’s why I love jMonkey :smiley:

2 Likes