Mouse Button 4 and Mouse Button 5

I want to assign actions to mouse 4 and mouse 5 (side buttons on a mouse for the mice that have it). I only saw variables for mouse 1, 2, and 3 in MouseInput. I tried just typing in the integer 3 or 4 as the parameter for MouseButtonTrigger but that didnt work.

is there any way to do this?

Add a raw input listener and see if you are even getting events for these… and if so then print the button value to see what it is.

You could try using a raw input listener and println what comes through. They are likely firing off other events… well… maybe… anyways.

@pspeed said: Add a raw input listener and see if you are even getting events for these... and if so then print the button value to see what it is.

Ninja >.<

ah. when I ran a test with the raw input listener and some printlns it revealed what was going on

I had forgotten that I had a program running in the background that remaps mouse button 4 and 5 to f14 and f15 to handle key binding with games that dont recognize mouse 4 and 5… after closing the program it revealed that it does pick up on mouse 4 and 5…

btw, is it safe to assume that every computer/mouse uses the same keycodes for mouse 4 and 5? for me it was the integer’s 3 and 4 like I thought it would be. but you guys are talking like it’s common for there to be different keycodes.

@icamefromspace said: ah. when I ran a test with the raw input listener and some printlns it revealed what was going on

I had forgotten that I had a program running in the background that remaps mouse button 4 and 5 to f14 and f15 to handle key binding with games that dont recognize mouse 4 and 5… after closing the program it revealed that it does pick up on mouse 4 and 5…

btw, is it safe to assume that every computer/mouse uses the same keycodes for mouse 4 and 5? for me it was the integer’s 3 and 4 like I thought it would be. but you guys are talking like it’s common for there to be different keycodes.

The integer values are assigned by JME afaik. You should be fine with this.

@icamefromspace said: ah. when I ran a test with the raw input listener and some printlns it revealed what was going on

Well, for the side buttons I don’t think there is a standard. JME is just reporting what JInput is reporting which is what the mouse driver is reporting. So it’s possible some mouse may map those two non-standard buttons differently, like 5 and 4 instead of 4 and 5. Or if it has 8 buttons then they could be 7 and 8 or whatever.

Anything above 3 buttons is outside the norm anyhoooo… so potentially map them to what you expect and proved alternate methods of triggering these events (for those of us with challenged meeeses)? Aren’t macs still single button mice?

yeh i was already planning to have “backup buttons”, just i also want to do my best to support actions on the mouse too if the mouse has it.

anyway i seem to have this figured out, thanks for your help pspeed and tonegod