Move of jME3 to trunk – Infos

Hey monkeys,

as you might have noticed, jme3 is now in trunk and jme2 has finally been retired to the branches folder.

For all who have checkouts of jme3, you can switch to the new folder without redownloading, from command like use the svn switch command, in jMP or NetBeans use the switch option under “Subversion”.

Specify trunk/engine as the new folder.

For those who are building jMP from the sources, the build scripts for copying the jme3 libraries etc will change in a way that they use the “engine” and “sdk” folder names instead of “jme3” and “jme3-gde”, so you should rename the project folders accordingly.

Cheers,

Normen

Does this mean the tutorials on this wiki should now be working with the JMP ? I got all of the tutorials working when using the jme3 branche. But now when I use the latest SDK download and update jMonkeyEngine SDK Nightly via plugins I still get errosr, for example, in the Hello Materials tutorial.

tex_ml is null

[java]

Texture tex_ml = assetManager.loadTexture("Interface/Logo/Monkey.jpg");

[/java]

I think the problem is that Interface/Logo/Monkey.jpg, along with some other assets, is not included in the assets.jar in the JMP. The JME3 branch had the asset in the test-data.

Would it be a good idea to either put those assets in the assets.jar that comes with JMP (sdk download) or to also add a jme-test-data lib/jar to the default BasicGame stuff ?

For the first question: No, the wiki is a tad outdated. Press F1 in JMP to get tutorials which are “fresh” with the svn.

cheesecake said:
I think the problem is that Interface/Logo/Monkey.jpg, along with some other assets, is not included in the assets.jar in the JMP. The JME3 branch had the asset in the test-data.

Nothing has changed, the jme3 branch just moved. Did you check the checkbox to uninstall the jMP settings?
Dodikles said:
For the first question: No, the wiki is a tad outdated. Press F1 in JMP to get tutorials which are "fresh" with the svn.
Not to be picky or something but the beginner tutorials that you get in the F1 section seem even more outdated then the wiki and contain syntax errors. Also the help content you get after pressing F1 does not lend itself good for copy/pasting.

[java]
package mygame;

import com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication;
import com.jme3.material.Material;
import com.jme3.math.Vector3f;
import com.jme3.scene.Geometry;
import com.jme3.scene.shape.Box;
import com.jme3.texture.Texture;

/** Sample 6 - how to give an object's surface a material and texture.
* How to make objects transparent, or let colors "leak" through partially
* transparent textures. How to make bumpy and shiny surfaces. */
public class Main extends SimpleApplication {

public static void main(String[] args) {
Main app = new Main();
app.start();
}

@Override
public void simpleInitApp() {

/** A simple textured cube -- in good MIP map quality. */
Box boxshape1 = new Box(new Vector3f(-3f, 1.1f, 0f), 1f, 1f, 1f);
Geometry cube = new Geometry("My Textured Box", boxshape1);
Material mat_stl = new Material(assetManager, "Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md");
Texture tex_ml = assetManager.loadTexture("Interface/Logo/Monkey.jpg");
mat_stl.setTexture("ColorMap", tex_ml);
cube.setMaterial(mat_stl);
rootNode.attachChild(cube);

}
}
[/java]

After some tweaking the same error still comes up, tex_ml is null, so my suggestion for the assets is still valid ? Imho the wiki being more user-friendly and easier to update wouldn't it be better to try and only maintain the wiki for the tutorials instead of also the help window ? It might also be a bit confusing and a scare-off to new users glancing at jme when more sets of the same tutorials belong to different versions. Seems more logical that the tutorials on the wiki belong to the available download sdk ?

The wiki is constantly updated, the manual in jMP is updated automatically from the wiki when its compiled. When we are further along while one build is out the wiki contains lots of info that might not work for the user, as you experienced. And when we’re out of alpha/beta people might just not want to use the new version, thus the jMP manual contains the infos for the version that comes with it. Kinda makes sense, doesn’t it? :wink:

normen said:
The wiki is constantly updated, the manual in jMP is updated automatically from the wiki when its compiled. When we are further along while one build is out the wiki contains lots of info that might not work for the user, as you experienced. And when we're out of alpha/beta people might just not want to use the new version, thus the jMP manual contains the infos for the version that comes with it. Kinda makes sense, doesn't it? ;)

Again seeing as I am a new user myself here and I don't want to come across as a whiner I just want to make things better or more clearer for the jme users or visitors that are having a first look.

If I understand correctly that method should work if the wiki tutorials contain working code at the time of compiling the JMP. But the automation process seems to botch the initialization of objects. See image:

I understand that the (F1) documentation should represent the JMP you are working with and not the latest wiki entries. But a consequence of the automation process is that the wiki tutorials need to be checked against the build when compiling. I can understand in cases where you have more releases in a short period this step is skipped or gets moved to the background.

It makes sense to me that the wiki tutorials should work against the current downloadable sdk. First thing I did when I came across jme was download the sdk and try some tutorials.
cheesecake said:
My point that the wiki tutorials should work against the downloadable sdk on the wiki also makes sense right ?

No it doesnt. Look. We are working constantly. On the code and on the wiki. So we add a new feature, some days after the documentation might be added. We use the wiki for that because its online, live and everybody can contribute (remember nobody gets money for all of this). So that is the most current version of the info we can provide (theres a warning about this at the beginning of the wiki manual too) for the most current code. Now when a release like alpha-3 is out for a while, the wiki info gets too new for the build thats actually in circulation (think of stable release builds here), so its stored in the jMP manual. It contains the exact info that is correct for the installed version. When you update your jMP, the info in the manual is updated too. So only trust the manual, the wiki is "hot".