mTheoryGame Second Alpha Live

Update : I just set the mTheoryGame Second Alpha live, I got it ready over the weekend and just set the links lives now. Have a play if you’ve got some time :slight_smile:

http://mtheorygame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/second-alpha-screen-shot-a.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuH8WzRVrIE

In the mad rush to plug a few bugs in the First Alpha before it went live, I pulled out a bunch of features, which I’m now in the process of putting back in : rain + wet ground, fixed up Universe charge spheres, and numerous weapon effects among others I can’t think of right now. I have also added a few new features, most notably the neon trail effect from the menu screen and a new lighting gun (with projectile collision mesh the size of a cannon ball to temporarily address some CCD issues).

http://mtheorygame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/second-alpha-preview-1024x599.png

There are a few more features I would like to improve over the weekend then at some point in the next couple of days I will apply another feature freeze, address a couple of known ATI driver issues and low end machine compatibility, then the Second Alpha will be ready to launch.

http://mtheorygame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/second-alpha-preview2-1024x599.png

Cheers

James

3 Likes

Good job! ;D

pretty sweet. I wonder if I can write my name with those lines xD

I WANT THAT WALLRUN CODE! (at least, that’s what it looks like…)

It’s as epic as ever! :slight_smile:

thanks guys :slight_smile:

just updated topic, second alpha now live and playable.

Had a quick go, but it was very slow on my end. I’d guess between 1-15 FPS.

I’m on Windows 7 Ultimate with a GeForce Nvidia GT 8600M

Here’s the log:

1 Like

FYI,

Haven’t been able to get this to run.

Alpha 1 would start, but give me a black void and just hang. For Alpha 2 after the splash screen it just quits. It’s attempting to load lwjgl from the Firefox app directory and throwing a FileNotFound (access denied) exception. I’ve given all appropriate permissions.

Here’s the dump from the console:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxlwjgl.dll (Access is denied)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.(Unknown Source)
at com.jme3.system.Natives.extractNativeLib(Natives.java:83)
at com.jme3.system.Natives.extractNativeLib(Natives.java:61)
at com.jme3.system.Natives.extractNativeLibs(Natives.java:171)
at com.jme3.system.JmeSystem.initialize(JmeSystem.java:358)
at com.jme3.system.JmeSystem.newContext(JmeSystem.java:278)
at com.jme3.app.Application.start(Application.java:331)
at com.jme3.app.Application.start(Application.java:313)
at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.start(SimpleApplication.java:129)
at ahs.one.Main.main(Main.java:88)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "LWJGL Renderer Thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can't load library: C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefoxlwjgl.dll
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.load(Unknown Source)
at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:70)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:82)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.(Sys.java:99)
at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:199)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

It works for me. Performance seems ok. As usual for JME webstart apps of any decent size, it took five minutes or so before the download completed and I got past the webstart loading screen.

But it runs and looks cool. The controls felt slippy and squishy but that may be on purpose.

feengur said:
FYI,

Haven't been able to get this to run.

Alpha 1 would start, but give me a black void and just hang. For Alpha 2 after the splash screen it just quits. It's attempting to load lwjgl from the Firefox app directory and throwing a FileNotFound (access denied) exception. I've given all appropriate permissions.

save the launch file dont open direct from firefox happened to me with alpha1

@mcbeth

I noticed you had mentioned that on the post for the first alpha. I tried that, but I still seem to have the issue. I’ll try it a few more ways and see what I come up with.

-Feen

Just a note in case it matters: my successful attempt was from Firefox 3.6.10 on Windows XP.

I clicked it. It ran… other than the aforementioned startup time it worked without issue… and that should be a one time hit.

feengur said:
@mcbeth

I noticed you had mentioned that on the post for the first alpha. I tried that, but I still seem to have the issue. I'll try it a few more ways and see what I come up with.

-Feen

just tried it alpha2 on first attempt it didn't work i.e. I save the launch in my download folder clicked it the webstart downloaded the game attempted to run and fail just like yours, I went back to the web site click launch again saved to the same location, launched the duplicate launch file and it worked,for me though when I launch lwjgl64.dll and OpenAL64.dll are created in that directory at runtime.............. weird.......that process to get it running................................... hope u understand me
1 Like

Thanks once again to all the monkey’s who have taken some time to help out :slight_smile:

@erlend_sh

1. was it slow after it had stabilise ? its normally choppy for the first 20 seconds or so while loading.
  2. did you try toggling off the post effects ?
  3. would you expect that kind of performance from that kind of jme3 game on your rig? (would you say its running slowly or its running fine but needs cutting back for less powerful rigs)

@feengur, thanks for the feedback, I’m sorry I don’t have it working for you yet, I don’t fully understand these Firefox issues yet.

@pspeed thanks, first piece of gameplay feedback :slight_smile: controls are pretty loose, it’s hard to find a balance between fluid motion and tight control.

@mcbeth thanks for helping out again, glad someone is over this FF nonsense.