Multiplayer game logins, SSL/TLS, & Spidermonkey

I’m not keen to bring in outside services, but if it provides enough benefit to justify the extra administrative burden I’ll do it. A simple HTTPS servlet + JWT might suffice for my needs (I already have Jetty embedded in my server) - I’m not super familiar with OAuth so I’m reading up on it now.

I’d love to use SimEthereal, but unless I’m missing something it has a couple limitations that I’m not sure I can work around. The first I brought up a few months ago in this post: Multiple SimEthereal spaces on one host. The second issue I have is that I’d like to be able to time-sync more than just object position/rotation - entities have very flexible attributes (components in ECS-speak) that aren’t all necessarily meaningful to the core server. Ideally any attribute could be interpolated/lag compensated. Sooner or later somebody’s going to think of something I didn’t. Additionally, I have my own internal types for representing position/etc. that closely fit with a custom serialization library I wrote for DB persistence. I have a draft protocol (highly based off of SimEthereal) planned that would make use of this serialization library and allow SimEthereal-style syncing of any attribute type.

If it were just the first issue I’d fork SimEthereal and offer any changes I’d made back as a PR, but with the second issue I don’t see how I can reconcile this design with SimEthereal at all.