Multiplayer Project - player signing in a server

Hey,
I’m again into multiplayer… :smiley: Last few evenings I was writing code which will provide the player logging to server. Like all other thousands of online MMORPGs. I thought how it will be if my CarGame goes to multiplayer. I know it could be a great fun, but image how many players will be also destroying your fun too. Then I decided to make my game only a single player. Suddenly an idea came; if you have your own account on which you can sign in again, I can make a “online” game content that could be bought, something like in WOT premium tanks. But here you don’t have to play against noobs or cheaters or too skilled players… :smile:

I started with easy things. Video below shows sending messages between client and server. Now yet it’s only one-way. Through client you send what password would you like to use. I do not know why I don’t start with nickname :thinking:. Then the message is sent on server, which shows clients id and his password. This is everything for this time.

Next I have to write a code that will save the passwords in file and make client message listener to tell if you entered right password. Now I just think of the nearest step, a “super-duper” message protection isn’t needed right now.

Am I going right way or I will lost after few more evenings?

Sure, why not, thou instead of storing it in a file… why not use a database? This will make it easier to manage the data.

Yea, I though about database. At first, I must code the system, then can use what will be better :slight_smile:.
BTW I had database on mind, why have I written ‘file’? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This is a tiny step into a very deep pond… careful not to get eaten. Rely on industry knowledge where available.

https://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm

4 Likes

I know… That’s very usefull article, thank you!