My expected next gen computer set up specs

GeForce GTX 760 | $249.99

Intel Core i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz) | $309.99

Intel® Desktop Board DZ87KLT-75K Compatible with processor $274.99

Memory Corsair CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 $254.99

Minimum Power Supply 500 (875 Watts recommended) Watts $60

I’ll definitely aim for a more pricier Graphics card when the day to buy comes, though.

Now, now, now, don’t be jelly.

Any thoughts on this specs you can contribute?

buy at least 750w power suply
and why Intel? why not AMD?

750w, ok, got it.

I’ve had the experience that Intel are faster and not more expensive. I’m using AMD right now, and that’s why I know that.

I think the general rule is that AMD gets you more cores for the $$ and intel gets you more megahertz for the $$.

Personally, in today’s climate, I’m more interested in cores. I don’t care if one thread is a little faster if the other 10 are waiting to run.

1 Like

AMD and Intel tend to alternate who has the performance lead. A few years ago when I last bought it was Intel, but the time before that it was AMD.

Neither has a clear permanent advantage tbh.

Ok, the high end alienware uses 875 W power supply, so I’m now getting a 875 W power supply. I’m not buying an alienware computer though, it’s just for reference.

About the power supply, at least for europe the golden thumb rule 10€ per 100w mostly applies. (if you want a stable one and not a china firework at least)
Also in case of a powersuplly locking at least a little for efficiency wont hurt (assuming you pay for the power yourself)

What i wonder a bit about is, that you plan to use the boxed cpu coller? You might want to spend a few $ for a larger and quiter one. Depending on where you live and what your average enviroment temperature tends to be (Also the boxed tends to go up to 80° and then the cpu thermal throttles.)

Maybee also relevant: Make sure your motherboard supports vt-x since your cpu does. (Hardware virtualisation, sooner or later you need one for something ^^ and its not related to the costs but more or less random if its possible)

Intel vs amd is kinda like nvidia vs amd, both have their advantages in some points. Amd interstingly both on cpu and on gpu in pure processing power, however on gpu amd has worse drivers and on cpu the applications must use all cores to benefit from that. If you plan to use opencl (or for that matter hopeing for the next native bullet release with a opencl pipeline) amd might be worth a look for the gpu

There are PSU calculators available online. Fill in your hardware and it will tell you what PSU you need. It’s worth having a little extra headroom on the PSU as well, having a more powerful one won’t hurt - having an under-powered one will.

@Empire Phoenix said: About the power supply, at least for europe the golden thumb rule 10€ per 100w mostly applies. (if you want a stable one and not a china firework at least) Also in case of a powersuplly locking at least a little for efficiency wont hurt (assuming you pay for the power yourself)

What i wonder a bit about is, that you plan to use the boxed cpu coller? You might want to spend a few $ for a larger and quiter one. Depending on where you live and what your average enviroment temperature tends to be (Also the boxed tends to go up to 80° and then the cpu thermal throttles.)

Maybee also relevant: Make sure your motherboard supports vt-x since your cpu does. (Hardware virtualisation, sooner or later you need one for something ^^ and its not related to the costs but more or less random if its possible)

Intel vs amd is kinda like nvidia vs amd, both have their advantages in some points. Amd interstingly both on cpu and on gpu in pure processing power, however on gpu amd has worse drivers and on cpu the applications must use all cores to benefit from that. If you plan to use opencl (or for that matter hopeing for the next native bullet release with a opencl pipeline) amd might be worth a look for the gpu
OpenCL: Bitmining, LuxMark, And ratGPU - OpenCL And CUDA Are Go: GeForce GTX Titan, Tested In Pro Apps | Tom's Hardware

This is the case that bugs me that AMD bought ATI… so a once good company has managed to tarnish its name in one-fell swoop. It is interesting that the only reason these ATI cards are viable now is because AMD made them get their act together.

ATI versus nVidia, my experience is that while the equivalent ATI may look better on paper and in benchmarks, the nVidia will take more abuse and generally be a better card, even aside from the drivers. You get the impression that they didn’t just write to the benchmarks. It’s partially an impression and partially from empirical results like the max point sprite size and stuff… where most of the nvidia cards are like “sure, whatever” and the ATI cards are like “no, only 64 pixels sprites for you!”

Regarding replacing CPU fans, I know back in the day this is one area where intel sucked and ATI really shined. It used to be unheard of to replace an AMD CPU fan assembly unless you were really anal or overclocking… where the intel chips always ran hotter and their cooling was baaad. It could be things have changed as I haven’t looked in a while. Historically, intel chips were always hotter… by a bunch.

My only advice re: power supplies is not to skimp. Do not buy the bargain basement versions (I like the chinese fireworks term :)). By a brand name and size it bigger than you need. In the long run, you will be happier to have the head room and a decent well-reviewed brand will keep you from inadvertently shortening the life of your components or having weird behavior because your power is a little dirty. I over time fried three GPUs in an SLI configuration this way before swapping out the PSU.

I’m not skimping in any of this stuff.

Intel chips are more performant but they are also more expensive. If you you can afford a i7 haswell chip then go for it. Be sure to save a little money to put in a SSD drive though, it will have a huge impact on the overall performance since the other components is usually just spending their time running in circles around the HDD anyway.

If you don’t wanna shed out loads for an SSD drive, then I’d recommend an SSD cache drive (as @EmpirePhoenix once recommended to me ^^). This allows you to get performance benefits out of commonly used data (booting up windows etc), and not explicitly have 2 drives, and worrying about where to place data. You only “appear” to have 1 drive (your main HDD) and it seamlessly takes care of the rest for you.

Yes, especially since you aready use a intel chipset make sure to have one with ssd caching and get a small 64gb ssd if you not planning with one in some way already.

(Really the feeleable performance of a smaller processor with ssd is way better than a larger without, especially for stuff like java development where you often use the same few kb file repeadly)

(btw i assume you plan on using windows as all others here? Just to make sure if its for linux I would make a few extra considerations)

What would be the Linux considerations?
(Linux guy here)

for example vt-d and a secondary gc, that way you can run a virtualized windows with passtrough of the real graficcard, finally being able to play windows only games without dual booting :slight_smile:

Also ati drivers have a bug when using multiple graficcards, but different resolution monitors in xinerama mode.
Nvidia drivers have quite some other problems tho.
(Ironically the intel drivers are probably the most stable ones)
Also with the ability to mount and symlink intelligently you can create the system on a ssd with no cache, put home on a hdd, you workspace back on ssd ^^

As in home aside from the java dev stuff are mostly a few documents and most of the load is on the applications it will be quite fast without wasting around 20gb like windows alone does.

I’m going AMD for my next build. I’m saving for the FX8350. There were benchmarks that showed the FX8350 performing just as well, and at times better than, the i5-3570k, priced $20 more. Also, that’s 4 more cores for $20 less, and to my knowledge generally AMD chips will stay more stable when overclocking than Intel, but that drastically depends on the specific CPU and environment. I’ve always been a fan of AMD, when people ask me to build computers for them I always go with AMD because they’re cost-effective and plenty fast. Intel has its benefits, though, such as a MUCH newer socket type, PCI-E3.0 (although there’s nearly no speed difference between 1.1x4 and 3.0x16 unless you’re doing high-res gaming and/or multiple screens), higher RAM speeds… I guess it depends on what you’re doing.