My first JME game!

Hello monkeys!

I just finished my first game using the engine, TetraPack, a 3D Tetris game. I chose this simple idea as

a project to learn how to use the JME and I must say it’s pretty easy to get something that looks good quickly.

Try it out! The controls are a bit weird in the beginning but once you get the hang of rotating the tetraminos it will

get easier. There is one known bug, the first couple of times one specific sound is played the game lags,

I couldn’t figure out why, but it disappears after a short while so I didn’t dwell on it.

You can find the game here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/744099/TetraPack.rar

4 Likes

Hey that’s Nice!

good work

Great job with this 3d tetris implementation, a lot better than the others I’ve seen.

Suddenly I’m thinking o fthis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

You have to watch to nearly a minute in to understand… :wink:

Thanks!

@pspeed: haha, that was awsome!

Cool! Very hard game :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, if you compress the sounds to OGG/Vorbis format you can probably reduce the size of the game from 75 MB to 10~ MB

1 Like
@luisfilipedeoliveira said:
how u make the game?

I need make one 2D tetris... can u explain me how is the game engine?

For 2D, you could use Slick2D

http://www.slick2d.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

how u make the game?

I need make one 2D tetris… can u explain me how is the game engine?

Ranger… my problem is my work is on Jmonkey… and i need make a tetris game.

JME dont make 2D game?

Its possible, just ignore the z axis, and fixate the camera looking at the center of the playfield.

can u explain me how is the game engine?

What do you want to know? Have you worked out the basics yet?

@jockex1 downloading right now. Will report soon! :P
@luisfilipedeoliveira said:
Ranger... my problem is my work is on Jmonkey... and i need make a tetris game.

JME dont make 2D game?

I believe that JME is a 3D only engine, but I could be wrong.

It’s a 3d engine. You could theoretically make a 2d game using it (after all something like a scrolling shooter is often effectively 2d but might still use the 3d for display), but it’s not the best fit for most cases.

Hi Jockex,

Very cool little game. You obviously took a good idea to the next level to make it better. It worked fine on my PC. I don’t have any criticisms – it is all good. I liked the shadows on the floor of where the block will fall. You obviously thought things out fairly well and you’ve made yourself a nice game there. I think, for it’s simplicity, it is probably a good jME3 showcase game.

Congrats.

Alf

I think this would be of the only games you could create solely on the guiNode. Fun exercise right there ^^ (although I don’t recommend it :P)

If u really don’t want depth you can use quads, and parrallel projection may help as well.

This topic is actually 1 and a half years old.

Guys, you do realize that reviving dead threads is usually not worth it right?

Original thread posted over a year and a half. :stuck_out_tongue:

@shirkit said:
This topic is actually 1 and a half years old.

Why didn't I see "page 2" !?

Oh and Ninja'd!

@shirkit and @madjack there’s really nothing wrong with reviving old threads as long as it’s not about, say, reigniting an old flamewar or asking jME3 questions in a jME2 thread. It’s always a very good idea to @mention the previously engaged posters though in case they might be interested in what you’ve just added to the conversation.

@erlend_sh said:
there's really nothing wrong with reviving old threads...

I know. All I'm saying is odds are not good to get an answer after over a year. ;)