My model's textures look pixelated

Hello,

I searched around and could not find someone else's complaint about this problem.  I have tried loading ms3d, dae, and 3ds files with the same model and can not get the textures associated with these objects to look crisp and clean – they look pixelated (as that they have been scaled too much).  When I 'setLocalScale' to .1f, the image still looks bad.  

Any suggestions?  My models look great on Milkshape and Bonzai3D but not in JME.

I found this link where SVG is used as a texture in a 3D model

http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3438

Are there any models supported in JME that use SVG as a texture?

Thanks!

Molamini

Well one simple solution: Scale(interpolate) them up to the maximum supportet resolution (guess 2kx2k it was) and use that, mostly it should help it it's not a extreme large object.

second simple solution, try to apply a small unsharpness effect to it,as it might help a bit.

Also you could try texture filters (Are there examples in the jmetest?)

Btw isn't it a vector based format?

Empire Phonix,

Attached are 2 images that demonstrate my problem.  The nicer target image is displayed in Model Misfit 3D.  The uglier one is by JME with my interpretation on how to load the model.

using solution 1)  I made the images large and then scaled the images down using 'setLocalScale(.1f)'.  I'm not sure which object to use for scaling in your answer.

Solution 2)  I would certainly consider this solution but I'm not attaching images onto my model programatically.  I would simply prefer to attach the image in my modeling program and voila, the model looks perfect in JME.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

To answer your question about '…isn't it a vector based format?', the model is vector based but the texture is either targa or png.  I'd like to use SVG for a texture to always have smooth (non pixelated) textures in my models.

Molamini

well 1 and 2 where external meant, like useing photoshop (or gimp(free and should do the work as well, but ugly user interface))

Also try different settigns for this two:

texture.setMagnificationFilter(Texture.MagnificationFilter.Bilinear);

texture.setMinificationFilter(Texture.MinificationFilter.BilinearNearestMipMap);

Get the RenderState for texture, then get the texture(s) from it so you can change the texture filters. (A idea here would be to modify this inside your modelloader, so that all models get the right filters set)

try turning off texture compression…

that might help…

Make sure your bitmap texture have a power of 2 size

After playing with my code some more I got the display to look good.  Simply loading Collada files works well.  In my first post I honestly believed I tested Collada.  It appears that Collada files render more clean than the other file formats that JME supports.  Does anyone disagree with my previous statement?

Thanks!
Molamini

molamini said:

Empire Phonix,
Attached are 2 images that demonstrate my problem.  The nicer target image is displayed in Model Misfit 3D.  The uglier one is by JME with my interpretation on how to load the model.

using solution 1)  I made the images large and then scaled the images down using 'setLocalScale(.1f)'.  I'm not sure which object to use for scaling in your answer.

Solution 2)  I would certainly consider this solution but I'm not attaching images onto my model programatically.  I would simply prefer to attach the image in my modeling program and voila, the model looks perfect in JME.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

To answer your question about '...isn't it a vector based format?', the model is vector based but the texture is either targa or png.  I'd like to use SVG for a texture to always have smooth (non pixelated) textures in my models.

Molamini