My resources are killing me

i prefer using texture names instead of paths. like ResourceManager.getTexture("mouse_cursor").

tobias: it would be nice if the your loaders could be also referenced by name. i think grouping certain textures/data and unloading them at once could be useful (without unloading the mouse cursor texture for example)

I don't quite know what you mean, sfera. The loader registers the type "font" with the resourcemanager, and then just resourcemanager.load("font", "filename");

That's all it does at the moment, really, no grouping or caching or anything useful at all :slight_smile:

that's why i said "it would be nice" :stuck_out_tongue:

it would be nice if the your loaders could

Ah, I see now where we misunderstand each other. You surely meant to put "resources" somewhere in that sentence :)
renanse said:

Zombifying this thread...  I am currently working on something related to this topic for jME's core that can be used for Texture, Sound, Model and Shader loading instead of getting your hands dirty working directly with TextureManager and such.  Any suggestions on generally useful features are welcome.

renanse said:

Mostly about resource resolution as many people have issues here. (Converted models and their textures for example.)  Caching could be part of it, if that makes sense, (eg, for things other than Textures which are already cached and managed by TextureManager.)

Sorry to re-awaken this pretty old topic, but I wanted to ask if this has been added to the core code? I am currently working on my resource management - preloading them + accessing them later conveniently and I am trying to determine the best way to do this.

Check the ResourceLocatorTool which was added to jME 1.0

i wrote my own asset pool system for my mmo. it basically maintains all binary formats like textures, models, animations and etc.

im thinking of writing a texture listener so that when game settings change, the textures should change themselves accordingly. if it works well, ill certainly commit it back to jme.