Mythruna's new menuing system

@nehon said: I'm a bit confused, I'm not sure of what you mean by "clipping" here? could one of you explain? I thought you guys were talking about a clipping rectangle on screen (for UI), and Normen is talking about an arbitrary clip plane in a scene. If that's rendering into a sub part of the screen in a rectangle that you want.... that's a viewport . We do support this kind of clipping (if I get it correctly)

We are talking about a clipped rectangle on the screen. ViewPorts are kind of heavy-weight for that, I think. Certainly more heavyweight than: r.setClipRect();

Because Control.render() is called before we are queued we can’t do the same nifty trick that the nifty layer does.

Just adding another video here… map previews for the win…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkUUniW9SY[/video]

Wow! This is really impressive. Congratulation!

Looks very nice. Id restrict the seed (or at least randomly generated seed) from going negative though, it seems a bit out of keeping…

@zarch said: Looks _very_ nice. Id restrict the seed (or at least randomly generated seed) from going negative though, it seems a bit out of keeping...

Any 32 bit value works for the seed… anyway, the real interface will just be toggles, dials, and switches… that under the covers set the seed. (each toggle, dial, and switch will represent some number of bits.)

@pspeed said: Just adding another video here... map previews for the win...

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkUUniW9SY[/video]

Just plain awesome !

Cool, I like the disc thingy, reminds me of Uncharted somehow ^^

@normen said: Cool, I like the disc thingy, reminds me of Uncharted somehow ^^

Oooh, yeah, I think they did have some puzzle map thingy, didn’t they? I actually was originally inspired by the map in Pirates of the Caribbean… where turning the rings in different ways made different maps.

I was going to have it fade from one map to the next while the rings are spinning but I’m already doing a bunch of texture lookups per fragment and didn’t think one more was worth it… especially considering that it looks ok anyway.

…finding the sounds of a portal engine’s map rings was fun, too. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it looks very slick :slight_smile:

The negative number thing isn’t a programming problem (obviously it works), it’s an aesthetic one that negative numbers aren’t appropriate to a fantasy/medieval setting. Having said that replacing it with sliders/switches/whatever works too :slight_smile:

Woot, does it really generates a world and then generates a preview THAT fast?

@shirkit said: Woot, does it really generates a world and then generates a preview THAT fast?

It generates the preview straight from the fractal. The map is generated based solely on elevation (not a full block world) so I don’t have to generate blocks just to have a map. I only have to have elevations.

And yes, it’s that fast.

@pspeed said:
@shirkit said: Woot, does it really generates a world and then generates a preview THAT fast?

It generates the preview straight from the fractal. The map is generated based solely on elevation (not a full block world) so I don’t have to generate blocks just to have a map. I only have to have elevations.

And yes, it’s that fast.

That’s a smart approach indeed =]

@shirkit said:
@pspeed said:

And yes, it’s that fast.

That’s a smart approach indeed =]

The nice thing is that the height generation and terrain classification needed for the map are also the first two steps for normal world generation. So it’s just the same code used differently… and in the new plugin framework it’s all just callable pluggable services.

This GUI framework cannot be made available fast enough.

I will say this, once it’s done and out (Lemur right?) you will see a massive transition of projects from Nifty to it. Using Nifty is like playing with a child genius. Results might be great or it might blow you up to bits and pieces. I’d rather have the former.

Yeah, I’ve had good results with Nifty but I had to really fight it to get them. I don’t think I’d switch now but I’d certainly evaluate alternatives for future projects.