Nested vehicles with walkable interiors

Hi everybody
This my 1st post. Hope it’s the right place to post my question.

I’m just starting playin around with the sdk. On the long run (hopefully not TOO long) I’d wish to reproduce a feature i’ve seen only once in my long gamer experience: a 3d game where you can use vehicles with walkable interiors, possibly nesting one into another (ie a mothership holding multiple dropships loaded with APC with people inside, just to make it clear).

I realize it’s a not an easy task. I’d just wish to know if anybody else ever tried this with jmonkey, or if you think it may handle such a feature.

Thanks
SM

Well sure you can but what that means depends on what you want to do. Just having people attached to a ship is exactly what the node system in the scenegraph already does. Every spatial has a local transform and together with its parents that forms the world transform. If you move the node all children will move along with it.

If you talk about using collision and physics on these planes, thats also no problem, the physics objects locations can also be applied to the local transform of the objects so you can have a local physics space for every ship and just have to “hand over” the objects when they go from ship to ship or from space to ship.

The question is not “can the engine do it?”, the question is “can you do it?” :wink:

1 Like

Hi normen thanks for the quick reply.

<cite>@normen said:</cite> The question is not "can the engine do it?", the question is "can you do it?" ;)

Well a wise and reasonable question :slight_smile:
Let’s put it this way: right now absolutely not, but that won’t prevent me from trying.

But i needed some confort on the engine capabilities: trying to learn from scratch to assemble an airplane engine and let it fly it’s hard enough. Finding after one month that it was an assembly kit for an air conditioner would have been sad. :slight_smile:

Thanks again

1 Like
@stemaxx said: Hi normen thanks for the quick reply.

Well a wise and reasonable question :slight_smile:
Let’s put it this way: right now absolutely not, but that won’t prevent me from trying.

But i needed some confort on the engine capabilities: trying to learn from scratch to assemble an airplane engine and let it fly it’s hard enough. Finding after one month that it was an assembly kit for an air conditioner would have been sad. :slight_smile:

Thanks again

Well you can do anything, you have almost “raw” access to the graphics card and opengl and you have a powerful programming language that also sets no limits. This is not a FPS mod or “game maker”. Ofc that also means your code will only perform as good as its written.

1 Like

Thanks again That’s exactly what i was wishing to hear.
Maybe (or probably) this will lead to nothing, but I’ll have fun trying.