Networking example?

No, I meant game objects… more abstract. So if was a racing game, you’d have racing cars. If it’s an FPS, you have players and monsters, etc… The stuff that the server needs to be concerned about. Not the scene graph and all of its unnecessary parts.

To me the scene-graph is the “view” and exists only on the client. It’s up to the client to know that when race car 321 moves that some spatial/node needs to be moved.

1 Like

These are worth a read when you are ready to bite off larger chunks of the apple:

Source Multiplayer Networking - Valve Developer Community

Latency Compensating Methods in Client/Server In-game Protocol Design and Optimization - Valve Developer Community

1 Like

Thanks very much, I will surely read those when I am ready :smiley:

Thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

I have managed to get it working now using your suggestions :stuck_out_tongue:

I have two cubes moving around in a small plain and the server constantly syncs the clients coordinates to each of the clients.

I have one small other question - I tried to change my local IP to my actual IP and it kinda didn’t work… Does something have to be done differently?

Also, when creating a game, should networking always be the first thing implemented? Thanks :slight_smile:

I don’t have enough information to answer the IP question. Do you mean on the client or on the server? Or both? You mean instead of using localhost? Do you have a firewall? Are client and server on the same machine? Is it the IP for your internal network or the IP as seen from the internet?

If you are writing a multiplayer game from the beginning then networking is definitely one of the first things you should do. Hacking it in later can be really hard.

Thanks for the advice. I think the firewall is probably the problem, I’ll make some custom rules or whatever…