Networking Library compatible with SpiderMonkey

I’m looking for a Java networking library that can handle TCP connections from my jme3 SpiderMonkey client, any suggestions? I’m looking for one that is speedy and is able to scale well.

Don’t forget if you need a scenegraph clientside it’s also kinda nice to have jme3 handle that for you. (I can tell I had to implement one javax.vecmath based for my 64 bit server scenegraph, what a pain.)

Why not just use SpiderMonkey?

There is nothing that is compatible because it is very specific.

1 Like
pspeed said:
Why not just use SpiderMonkey?

There is nothing that is compatible because it is _very_ specific.

+1, why are you looking elsewhere?

I want something lightweight. I’d love to use spidermonkey but it isn’t available as a standalone jar. I don’t want a entire jme3 headless server because I don’t need any of the advanced features, I want to write my server from scratch except for a networking library.

Just because you have the JME jar in your classpath doesn’t mean you have to run with a GUI. Mythruna server is headless. I run it from the command line.

So just put the jme jar in your classpath and write your own app that calls Network.createServer()… no gui.

1 Like
pspeed said:
Just because you have the JME jar in your classpath doesn't mean you have to run with a GUI. Mythruna server is headless. I run it from the command line.

So just put the jme jar in your classpath and write your own app that calls Network.createServer()... no gui.

So it won't be significantly more resource intensive to do that vs using another lightweight library?
bubby4jj said:
So it won't be significantly more resource intensive to do that vs using another lightweight library?

No it won't, the same way writing a single line application that just does System.out.println() isn't resource intensive even though it has the entire Java Class Library on the classpath
2 Likes

Alright, thanks! What programming IDE would be best to develop the server? The jMonkeyPlatform? Or would eclipse do?

sbook said:
No it won't, the same way writing a single line application that just does System.out.println() isn't resource intensive even though it has the entire Java Class Library on the classpath

Best answer ever! :D
bubby4jj said:
Alright, thanks! What programming IDE would be best to develop the server? The jMonkeyPlatform? Or would eclipse do?

Shouldn't matter much if you aren't doing work directly on the scene. Its a matter of what you're comfortable with :)
1 Like

Ok, thanks! What jar should I use?

The jMonkeyEngine3.jar should be fine

Ok, thanks.