New Board "Projects"

It was suggested to have a "Recruitment" board as well as a "jME Game" board and similar. My suggestion is to create a "Projects" board where all active projects using jME can have a sticky post to get an overview. Plus project related discussions should happen on the new board, obviously.

Any objections/suggestions?

Good idea. I suppose some template will be needed for each thread posted? To improve organization and all. Will also need monitoring of the forum.

I'm all for it

A bit tricky… How to decide how long something will remain stickied?

I think I'd be enough to remove the sticky tag when somebody asks about the project and nobodies replies for a couple of days and thus asks in the sticky thread if that project is dead. (It can be made sticky again if a project member returns)

Good idea to create a projects board… for the description / presentation / status of some "long running" projects. So the search for developer or artists might be discussed there  as well.

Keeping all the projects sticky won't be the best solution, as Mindgamer mentioned.

But keeping them unorganized won't be a good idea as well.

So let's maybe have a sticky overview Thread, where all projects are listed by name, genre and status(active/idle), with the name of the project leader(s) and a link to the official project's thread?! (which then haven't to be sticky, but can be found easily)

The project leaders would/should be responsible to inform the moderator about changes in the project's status and of course keep the description up to date. Sending a ping message every few weeks, until the status is idle.

It will mean some kind of work for the moderator as well, as he has to keep the sticky overviewlist up to date.

I might offer some time here

Sounds ok as well. What I like more about the "sticky thread per project" is that the recent ones will be first and will still exist when unstickied. Keeping the single info thread clean is more complicated.

So you, imm0|82, are volunteering for moderatorship? :slight_smile:

I'd additionally nominate Vardamir as a moderator. Are you in as well?

if there is the need for additional moderators, i might voluteer.

Visiting the jme forums multiple times every day, some moderation shouldn't be a big problem.

Just gimme a shout.

But i don't want obtrude myself.

Ok, we should just go for it: new “Projects” board

I’ve added Mindgamer, imm0|82 and Vardamir as mods. Just post if anyone is unhappy with that (esp. Vardamir who did not say yes yet :))

Should perhaps move around some bigger topics from User Showcase? Some people might no longer find their threads  :smiley: hhexen and Java Classic RPG come to mind.

Or wait till owners request…

I have made a preliminary template for what information could be displayed. Please comment on what you would want to have different… Also please consider that as project owners you would have to keep supplying this information and it should look nice and easily accessible.

Vardamir, .:emp…imm0|82:. please say if you think this table structure is too uncomfortable to maintain… I feel comfortable with it.

Mindgamer said:

I have made a preliminary template for what information could be displayed. Please comment on what you would want to have different... Also please consider that as project owners you would have to keep supplying this information and it should look nice and easily accessible.

I think that this is a good format and will allow all projects to remain visible.  The only addition that I can think of that would make it even more useful would be to include a link to the project's User Showcase thread.
ashtonv said:

I think that this is a good format and will allow all projects to remain visible.  The only addition that I can think of that would make it even more useful would be to include a link to the project's User Showcase thread.

Well, actually I'd say each project can specify say 2-3 places they want to link to. The 2 ones I listed there are just examples.. you might want to link to some project wiki or image gallery or whatever... perhaps user showcase thread. In any case the titles of the links should be short to keep the entire table clear and informative.
irrisor said:

Ok, we should just go for it: new "Projects" board

I've added Mindgamer, imm0|82 and Vardamir as mods. Just post if anyone is unhappy with that (esp. Vardamir who did not say yes yet :))

Yes

Mindgamer said:

Vardamir, .:emp...imm0|82:. please say if you think this table structure is too uncomfortable to maintain.. I feel comfortable with it.

I feel comfortable with it too. I'll enter Proxy wars to that table, and remove the examples.

Ok, the looks good to me as well, so far. I've added a status column.

What i think (looking at the introduction thread of Proxy Wars) is, that it might be usefull to have some kind of template for the main information of a project.

With some kind of structured information like starting date, membercount, an short abstract of the objective and of course (as it exists at the Proxy Wars introduction) a list to the most important topics/discussions of the project, so u don't have to search the board.

Therefore it might be cool, if it would be possible if all threads related to a project include a "flag", as vardamir demonstrated with the [JME Game] Threads.

Of course each project leader is responsible for this on his own, but offering a template isn't a bad idea i think.

I'll try to create some kind of a nice-looking template when i'm out of office.

Not trying to be pushy or anything, but I think it's a bit too many threads at this point for the "jME game" at the projects forum. I suggest requiring there to be only one thread for each project and no more.

If you need a place to discuss it, then you could request a new forum on jME or maybe a new subdomain all together (game.jmonkeyengine.com) since it seems it's becoming popular now.

Momoko_Fan said:

Not trying to be pushy or anything, but I think it's a bit too many threads at this point for the "jME game" at the projects forum. I suggest requiring there to be only one thread for each project and no more.

I don't agree. It was one purpose of that board to discuss the projects. Getting an overview was another one. And I don't think they hinder each other.

Since we have an index post which links to the projects, I do not think it is a problem if there are several threads per project.

It would have been a problem if we had depended on the natural flow of threads to show us the activeness of particular projects - in that case having several threads would have pushed projects with less threads more quickly off the first page. Now it does not matter as projects can still be found very easily.

I see both sides…

Having that much Threads for each project will definately lead to a big amount of threads on the board, which might get confusing quite fast.

But therefore i mentioned the idea of the overview thread and the general project description, to have a single entrypoint to each project. But we have to see if the project leaders and the moderators are willing to keep them up to date.

But the idea of having (projects-) subboards for bigger ones might be a good solution… maybe the best?!

Is it even possible to have Subboards for certain project under the projectsboard?

.:emp...imm0|82:. said:

Is it even possible to have Subboards for certain project under the projectsboard?

It is.