New design for Hub, still very much in-progress, sorry

@nehon said: Also quoted text should not be bigger that posts' text.
Better? :)
@abies said: Latest post page looks quite ugly under firefox - there is are two bullet points next to icon and [support request] tags, so it takes 3 lines for each topic. Works ok under internet explorer.
Happened to me too until I refreshed the page. Should be just a caching thing of your FF.
1 Like
@destroflyer said: Happened to me too until I refreshed the page. Should be just a caching thing of your FF.

Hurray - shift-reload for the win. Normal reload was not helping.

Thanks

On the mobile site, it doesn’t seem I can get to all the pages. On the menu bar, I cant get to the subpages, just the main 7 links. So I can’t get to the latest posts page. I tried hold down on the buttons to try to simulate mouse over, as that works on most sites, but it doesn’t here. I am using android with the chrome mobile browser.
Also, I can’t request the desktop site on my phone. It happened on the old theme too and sometimes I just feel like I have to get to the desktop version for code formatting to look proper. Its not a huge problem though.

Hey, and yeah, I just accidentally clicked the welcome button too by mistake.

Oh and also, when I am on my desktop, when mousing over the menu bar, I have to move my mouse fast across to the sub menus, otherwise it closes if I move the mouse slowly. Using firefox. If you don’t understand what I’m saying, I’ll try to explain a little better I’m just a bit tired right now.

I’ve noticed the forum looks a little different now :smiley: (as the whole site). The site design looks great…

However maybe i’m the only one (i hope note), but I find the new forum design to be limiting. I cant tell who made each thread, who last replied (and when), and i cant tell which posts are normal posts which are stickies…

I’m not sure if all this stuff is linked to the new theme or how much it can be modified and keep the theme, but I think it’d be a good idea to bring these sort of things back. All this information makes it very easy to just glance at a subforum’s page real quick and see whats been changed since you last visited. Now it kind of requires a bit of clicking/scrolling to find out what’s happened since last visiting.

Also minor nitpick (not really as big of a deal), within a thread, theres now large gaps between posts, it just further adds to the scrolling IMO.

See the bugs report/rant/complains related post
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/new-design-for-hub-still-very-much-in-progress-sorry/

Some of your points have already been reported.

Is anyone else thrown off by the large spacing between posts now? (and the spacing is made even larger by having the user information on the top of the post rather than the left). I feel like I have to scroll more often as a i read now.

hmm not sure how i missed that, i guess i assumed talk about the forum would be in here. thanks.

Yes, it would be nice to get the user name stuff back to the side of the posts, and horizontal space waste be damned. The info could go into the right sidebar, that’s a big empty space right now (this could go against overall document structure though, so dunno if this is feasible).

Also, I’m missing the “Mark all topics as read” button on the latest-posts page. (Don’t whether other pages had or needed this button as well.)

@pspeed said: Yeah, it was also on my list of things to mention when the migration is done.

Otherwise, we miss out on this effect:

Omg… Meet stupid! I just got this… wow… I’m brilliant >.<

That is freaking laughs

@icamefromspace said: Is anyone else thrown off by the large spacing between posts now? (and the spacing is made even larger by having the user information on the top of the post rather than the left). I feel like I have to scroll more often as a i read now.

What browser are you seeing this in? I see maybe a 15 pixel gap between posts.

Im using opera 16 or whatever number theyve picked recently. For me there is about 2 pointer heights between the boxes… though (just now thought of this) i am usually zoomed in by about 125%-150% because I dont see 20/20…

regardless of that though, allow me to make an illustration…

for each post in view there, there is more “wasted” space" that accompanies the content than actual content, the only exception would be a post including an image… The design here is sort of a “would you like some hotdog with that ketchup”

whenever i try a forum search, there are certain posts on which i can follow the link to the entire thread(usually only original posts), and there are others on which i can’t(just a single post with my search term somewhere inside).

am i doing it wrong?

I can’t find the “Mark all as read” function, I liked that one. Also, what everyone else said :slight_smile:

Is there a way to change your avatar still? Can’t find it.

EDIT: Gravatar it is then

@icamefromspace said: The design here is sort of a "would you like some hotdog with that ketchup"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The theme is too clean for a creative thing like game development. (My opinion). But works good in terms of speed an readability.

Well one thing.
I WANT THE MONKEY HEAD BACK

Thanks for all the feedback monkeys! Bugs not included it seems people are happy with the new design, very glad to hear that.

I updated the thread with a comprehensive to-do list based on your comments thus far.

For further discussions about design-specific elements, i.e. aesthetics, not glitches, please refer to this thread.

1 Like

We may want to give sticky topics a background color other than white.

Right now it is hard sometimes to tell the difference between “sticky white” and regular post “grey or white”.

Example of what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/BUFQlCp.png

@pspeed said: We may want to give sticky topics a background color other than white.
Oh definitely. Added to list.