New forum, new server, new everything

Remember its part of the official 3.1 repo already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome work :).

I love the fact we are immediately brought to the last posts page.

Also a perfect time to ask really basic and thoroughly answered questions, because normen can’t shame us by pointing us to the nuub links for a lil :D.
On a more serious note: those documents for dummies are brilliantly done and incredibly helpful and I would really like to have them back where they were if possible.

Awww… I lost the avatar that was assigned to me. The avatar looked like an idiot that had just done something terribly idiotic and was feeling queasy… perfect example of randomness generating real information :D.

1 Like

Good work :smiley:
But i think you have something wrong with your dns configuration for mandrill. Thunderbird marks every emails from the forum as a possible scam.

Everything is looking really nice.
My only complaint would be to directly show the year of a post, just showing the month and day will probably cause more thread necromancy than is necessary.

Also that instant preview shown next to the reply I’m typing is awesome!

it is fast! I like the dark theme (like oblivion at IDEs), but… where are the monkey smiles?
EDIT: oh btw, could the “like this post” be just a simple “+1”? hehe,

1 Like

Hello to all,

I am glad to read and see the news. i hope everything goes right. I had a long time without jmonkeyengine, but this weekend i have free time and would like to work with a new and nice idea.
At the download page i get some errors and broken links :slight_smile: i dont want to sound ruthless, but if someone has a direkt link to a jMonkeyEngine 3 SDK (Windows 64bit), i would be very happy:)

Have a nice weekend and/or effective work.

Finally! I’m glad it’s finally back, and looking so fresh.

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: Download page shows a 404 error

I could really do with those tutorials too, don’t mean to pile the pressure on but is there an ETA?, also is there anyway to get a pdf of the tutorials?

Press F1 in the SDK, select the tutorial, press “Print” and select “export to PDF”.

Woaow, new website online. It is amazing and I love the dark color theme.
So much features and cool things :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot to all of the monkeys that have worked hard on it <3.

Hi, i love the new website. However I have a few suggestions. As I am typing this on my android phone using chrome for android, I can barely see the text because the text color is almost the same grey as the background color in the box.

Alright I am on my desktop so I can finish my post.

1. I really like how on desktop you can see a preview to the right of the text box.

2. I really like how posts now say how long ago they were posted if they are recent, such as 1hr, it is really convenient.

3. How do I dismiss the unread category? I currently have 100+ unread posts.

4. On the mobile site, I really like how the text goes almost from edge to edge, because on the old theme there would be space on either side of the text that made paragraphs hard to read because there would only be 4 or so words on a line, and I would have to turn my phone horizontally to view text in a more paragraph form.

5. The tags/categories instead of forum subforums is going to take some getting used to, but its not bad. I like that the latest posts is default, but if I were a new user, it would definitely be confusing to me because most forums have subforums first, but it is easy to get used to.

6. What I’d really like to see eventually is some color matches between the forum and the sdk. I don’t know how hard it is to create a theme for the sdk (maybe I will look into that later), but I strongly think that if the forum and the sdk looked more similar, it could create a very strong feeling of unity (the word, not the engine) between the sdk and the forum and would provide a much nicer feeling. Maybe a start could be changing the text color format to the colors the forum now uses for displaying code. I know all the fancy fade effects and such can not be achieved in the sdk ( I certainly wouldn’t want them there anyway), I am purely talking color matching here

Sorry for it mostly being about what I like rather than what can be improved, but I think it is necessary to know what people like about your forum just as much as what they don’t like.

EDIT: Fixed formatting, thanks erlend_sh. This editing box is so much better than the last one.

You click “Dismiss Posts” if you want to remove the most recent notification but still get notified if something new happens in that thread on a later date. If you click “Dismiss Topics” you will never again get notifications from any of the topics currently in that queue unless you manually turn on tracking for them individually.

[quote=“8Keep123, post:42, topic:31156”]
The tags/categories instead of forum subforums is going to take some getting used to, but its not bad.
[/quote] Uhm, there are no tags yet. They will be introduced in the next version of Discourse, but it might take a while until we start using them. Right now we’re only using Categories & Sub-categories. There is a significant category-restructuring coming really soon though.

I like that the latest posts is default, but if I were a new user, it would definitely be confusing to me because most forums have subforums first, but it is easy to get used to.
[/quote]Actually Discourse automatically shows new users the Top tab, which displays the most popular (based on likes, views, participants etc.) threads on the forum. I’ve experienced this on other Discourse forums and I think it’s a great way to get started on a forum.

What I’d really like to see eventually is some color matches between the forum and the sdk.
[/quote]That would indeed be cool, but unlikely to happen any time soon. Without even going into the technical challenges, agreeing on a common color scheme is ridiculously difficult and requires a dominant designer-mind to drive a singular vision through.

Thanks for the feedback! We’ll look into that mobile editor text problem.

p.s. Your post would have been much easier to read in list-form. Check the editor buttons :wink:

I really like the new forum. It’s a whole lot easier to navigate than the old one, and when I do my late night programming, the website doesn’t blind me. Excellent.

The badge system is neat too, because it encourages forum activity, and gives being part of the community an even more fun edge.

Also, it looks as though the website was designed with mobile devices in mind, as it has that Material design to it. Very simple and elegant. Love it.

Thanks to all who have helped make this migration, not just from server to server, but from old to new.

I think this would be a good thread for people to leave comments about the new forum.

Thanks for the input. I merged your topic back in here because it’s on-topic.

“Reply as linked Topic” is best used when what you want to say is related, but will probably derail the core of the discussion.

Ah, ok, sorry. I didn’t see the reply button when I looked for it at first, and I assumed the thread had been locked.

I like the new forum style and I’m agree that the new color is more relaxing but it’s true that it is not as “inviting” as a light color scheme. I find the scheme shown by PewPewKapowie awesome (personally I would change the yellow bars by the current gray but it’s really fine) and more inviting as he says, so… Isn’t it possible to have two scheme colors and select it on the user’s preferences?.

Oh, yes, a feature I miss from the old forums is the java code highlighting and the easy way to add it (now, with the indentation system, it sometimes goes crazy when pasting code and marking it)

Whatever, very great job :smiley:.

you can have the java hightlighting, try ` x3 + java (see How to type code blocks - #2)

```java
class MySuperCode {
}

Thanks, in that link is said with ‘’’ but is like you said (```)