New here, think I'm incompetent, please help

I just restarted working with Java for the first time in a few years. I laid down some code for some ideas I’ve had and was having a grand time until i decided to try and learn/implement some graphics. I first tried to add LWJGL to my eclipse projects and couldn’t get anything to compile correctly, including verbatim copies of tutorials. I assume this is because of my lack of understanding of packages, importing, and requisite pathing. BUT I decided to try netbeans and jMonkeyEngine instead;

I started from a fresh install of both, following a tutorial on installation and setup from step 1 through a hello world tutorial, setting up paths, resources, proper directories (at least I think) and copying the test copy verbatim again only to get more compile errors, if this is simply because I don’t understand the work behind compiling then could SOMEONE please point me a solid guide on understanding these paths and added files and such? I’m growing extremely frustrated with it, but without further ado here is the chunk of errors I get when I compile the tutorial code from https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/setting_up_netbeans_6.7_for_jme_2.0.1.

Sep 25, 2010 7:57:11 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

INFO: Application started.

Sep 25, 2010 7:57:11 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings

INFO: PropertiesGameSettings created

Sep 25, 2010 7:57:11 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings load

WARNING: Could not load properties. Creating a new one.

Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: [Lorg/lwjgl/opengl/DisplayMode;

at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2427)

at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethod(Class.java:1935)

at java.awt.Component.isCoalesceEventsOverriden(Component.java:5952)

at java.awt.Component.access$500(Component.java:169)

at java.awt.Component$3.run(Component.java:5906)

at java.awt.Component$3.run(Component.java:5904)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.awt.Component.checkCoalescing(Component.java:5903)

at java.awt.Component.(Component.java:5872)

at java.awt.Container.(Container.java:251)

at java.awt.Window.(Window.java:342)

at java.awt.Window.(Window.java:491)

at java.awt.Dialog.(Dialog.java:650)

at java.awt.Dialog.(Dialog.java:394)

at javax.swing.JDialog.(JDialog.java:253)

at javax.swing.JDialog.(JDialog.java:187)

at javax.swing.JDialog.(JDialog.java:135)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLPropertiesDialog.(LWJGLPropertiesDialog.java:184)

at com.jme.app.AbstractGame$1.run(AbstractGame.java:236)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.lwjgl.opengl.DisplayMode

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)

… 28 more

Dear god someone please assist me, I had so much ambition to try and create some fun and great pieces of game and then this incomprehensible (to me) wall of an obstacle is threatening to kill it for a few more years…

Maybe you start with jme3 and jMP? Its all preconfigured and easy to set up :wink:

java memory profiler? do you have a link to a combined download or the two I should grab?

and if someone could still point me to a good resource on learning the intricacies of package; import; I would be very grateful, the googleable resources I’m finding are doing a cursory job of it and skip most thorough explanations. I want to be understand this stuff.

What I’ve gathered;

package command - defines a directory of classes to use all of the defined methods of?

import command - specifies a single or variable (*) list of jars or classes to use the methods of?

packaging and import the same file twice causes a compiler error?

I realize I’m probably wrong here but I’m attending to show my level of understanding (or lack of) so that someone can better help me get this through my skull.

Ok, seems like you really need a heads up on java in general. I cant speak of any good one in particular but there should be a load of java tutorials on the web. With jMP I mean the jMonkeyPlatform, which is a complete SDK for jme3 development incl. code editor, model importer etc. See the documentation and download parts of this site.

Cheers,

Normen