New Horizons

Fixed, I found procedually inferiror in terms of playability. (Imagin a earth sized planet, think about how much players you would need so that they would ever meet each other. Also I found fully procedual maps boring. (Minecraft is a good example here) While having a nice looking map, it misses landmarks and stuff that makes one point different from another.

Here is a video from CCP Games about the planets and the universe procedural generation in eve. Sounds interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNmCRti9dFM&list=PLDDA989F65CD6E98A&index=8&feature=plpp_video

They show how they made the planetary battlegrounds into the procedural world, a solution for empires statement about earth sized planets.

Regards

I wonder if you could add ship customization engine, so we could make ships with smaller modules, like cubes and slopes, and they would be rescaled freely to make our own unique-looking ships.

Well you have some parts that have connectors to fit other parts, (think ISS) so basically there are billions of possible combinations. so yeah kinda unique.

Some new pics, that show that JME3 is quite able of state of the art grafics. (you want to click the link to enlarge them)

https://aurora42.de/jamwiki-1.2/uploads/en/2012/7/javaw_2012-07-21_08-24-23-66-21083309.png

https://aurora42.de/jamwiki-1.2/uploads/en/2012/7/javaw_2012-07-21_08-23-49-87-21083306.png

https://aurora42.de/jamwiki-1.2/uploads/en/2012/7/javaw_2012-07-21_08-23-29-22-21083251.png

Useing one ambient, one point, on directional light, normalmapping and parralaxmapping

(also don’t wonder about the low framerate, it’s mostly due to the fact that outside is the full terrain and waterfilter as above in the picture)

ps. feel free to use those screens for any discussion about java capable of games or showcases for jme3.

5 Likes

Was there supposed to be a third picture or did you include the second one twice by accident?

good looking stuff.

exacly, it look perfect. nice texturing and maps.

there were a topic about why JME games(this ones from forum Groups) don’t have very good graphics, and here we are. Just an example that graphics is designer work, not engine. just add some good filters and it will look like EVE online :slight_smile:

but remember, graphics is not everything, need a good idea for game. i hope you have :roll:

im happy to see that you make progress.

Mmm, very nice.

My only criticism is that I’d like to see some light (maybe baked in?) being cast from those lights onto the pillars around it etc. The pillars in the second shot should be taking light from the light panel above them.

Looking great. Could use some more doodads to cover up the flat surfaces along the ground and the walls (second picture); could repurpose the existing wire models to a great extent. Also, crates! Gotta have crates :smiley:

You’re not on indiedb.com yet are you? You’re definitely far enough ahead to start building up a following there.

Nice. Looks very “spacey”.

@erlend_sh said:
Could use some more doodads to cover up the flat surfaces along the ground and the walls (second picture);

This. So much.

One thing I learned from being an FPS mapper is that finishing touches and detailing is so very important. There is a huge difference to the eyes and the brain between a room with basic walls and a "cluttered" room. The former is boring, the latter keeps your brain occupied.

Plinths, wall outcroppings, window frames, door frames, tubes and wires and pipes and what-have-you are what makes a great map to play on. Up to a point mapping can brake a game.

Can't argue it's a good start though.
@pspeed said:
Was there supposed to be a third picture or did you include the second one twice by accident?

good looking stuff.

Your right, fixed, thanks
@EmpirePhoenix said:
Your right, fixed, thanks

I'm wondering if there is a reason you don't use imgur.com for stuff like this. Last night I had to wait nearly five minutes for the images to download... reminded me of the old days downloading a gif from a BBS watching the super model come in one scan line at a time. :)

Just curious if there is a reason (because I use imgur.com all the time and would like to know of downsides) or if it's just inertia.

Well it’s my own root server ^^ , but it shouldn’t have slowdowns like that. Did you know the exact time it occured (preferably in gmt+0)?

It’s the same for me…always. I just looked the images are 2.7MB each and you have 5 of them on that page (assuming the ones at the top are the same)…no wonder it’s slow.

Recode them to JPG at a lower resolution and they will get much faster and look the same.

@EmpirePhoenix said:
Well it's my own root server ^^ , but it shouldn't have slowdowns like that. Did you know the exact time it occured (preferably in gmt+0)?

It's faster now... but still takes about a 30 seconds to a minute to load them.

...if they were on imgur I think they would come through faster... let's see.
http://i.imgur.com/hhIUr.jpg

It converted it to jpg though... so maybe it lost some quality. I think that might depend on the size since I've uploaded pngs and it kept them that way before.

Your jpg is 126kb…so 5% of the file size :slight_smile:

@zarch said:
Your jpg is 126kb....so 5% of the file size :)

Yeah, still imgur has a pretty fat pipe... and it converted it automatically. :) I wonder what cut-off it decides to convert to jpg because I'm 90% sure I have pngs hosted there that stay png.

Quality is massivly lost tho, just look at the clearnes of the position debug text. And I don’t like foul compromises :stuck_out_tongue: (if so i had used a lower resolution in the first place)

for some reason imgur also needs quite a bit longer for the smaller picture than my server, is it hosted in usa?

I need around 2 seconds for all three to load (dsl 32m). And the server should have a quite good connection as it uses DE-CIX.for connection, there is rarly a better backbone connection point possible.

@EmpirePhoenix said:
Quality is massivly lost tho, just look at the clearnes of the position debug text. And I don't like foul compromises :P (if so i had used a lower resolution in the first place)

Yeah, I just wanted to try it to see what it would do.