New Hub Theme

No, I’m using the mobile site. Interestingly enough, on Safari the header menu doesn’t show - but it does on Firefox for iOS, which is supposed to be using the same web engine. Not sure why it’s behaving differently.

Shouldn’t there be a store link up there by the GitHub buttons?

I mean, you are totally not wrong… but pretty soon it feels like we’ll have expanded those whole menus. :slight_smile:

Still, the store is at least as important. I agree with that. Make it as obvious as possible.

The discourse team, (who build the forum software) claim that mobile browsers get wierd… As in, the different browsers (even built on the same web engine) on a platform often have differing behavior. Notes like yours come up every so often, and they basically say that only the default browser for each (mobile) platform is tested and supported.

FWIW, it’s working correctly on Android/chrome.

The hiding/showing of various components is done in CSS based on viewport size, rather than differing pages based on device type. (Responsive, rather than adaptive design) Depending on your device, is it possible that Firefox is getting confused by retina scaling? If so, that’s something to report to the Firefox team.

The hiding/showing of various components is done in CSS based on viewport size, rather than differing pages based on device type. (Responsive, rather than adaptive design) Depending on your device, is it possible that Firefox is getting confused by retina scaling? If so, that’s something to report to the Firefox team.

indeed, professional CSS people do it based on resolution(viewport size). I also seen it in coorps.
Discourse default template CSS is also resolution based?
anyway if @jayfella also made resolution based CSS, then idk why it would cause issues.

In discourse you get the choice of editing Common, Desktop or Mobile css/html/js - so to that extent I’m restricted by design. I only added the header menu to the desktop template - which means it’s all on Discourse to decide what that means.

As for the header buttons:

It’s supposed to be a split-button with git on the left and javadoc on the right. It was an effort to conserve some space since they’re related.

I’ll add the store button, too.

Yeah. Yellow is a really hard color to work with. It’s so bright that I can’t use it as a button color - and it would be awkward as a text color. Maybe the logo could do with a bit of a revamp, though.

1 Like

Being 3.3 release soon, this would be a good time frame to do it if we want to :slight_smile: Branding of JME and associated products.

1 Like

Well the technical solution would be to make the logo just as brown/orange as the hub, but I would argue that yellow is important there as it’s bright and high contrast, which is good for a logo, just not for a wall of text at night

Yeah, I also think it’s fine if the logo stands out. It’s supposed to.

Exactly, And discourse relies on the viewport resolution. So, Firefox/iOS is probably getting confused there somehow.

More emphasis on this. Firefox Is a rebranded Safari as apple doesnt allow competition.

So probably some UA related stuff or different WebKit versions

This is an iPhone XR - I don’t believe it’s an issue with retina, especially since Safari renders the page correctly.

Exactly - I’m thinking there’s some versioning bug or display-related bug. Not a big deal, as I can just use Safari instead of Firefox.

I tried to check using Chrome on my android, I also have the header bar which is large and obstructs the logo icon, and the purple Discord button is cut in half and stacked below itself. In landscape and portrait orientations.

I downloaded firefox on my ipod 6th gen and it appears to display as expected for me - the same as it does in safari.

I have just updated the forum - maybe it fixed the mobile issues on some browsers.

It the firefox/chrome mobile issue resolved?

For chrome on my android device, the header bar is larger now in portrait orientation (about one quarter of the viewing area) and all buttons are moved way off the the right cutting off more than half of them.
Much better in the landscape orientation, but the buttons still overlap each other as they extend to the next line.

Edit: it’s better using the jMonkey android app because there is no address bar taking up precious screen space.

The header bar shouldn’t be visible at all on mobile. It will without doubt look wrong because it specifically should not be visible.

I’m not sure I can fix the behavior of chrome/firefox mobile tbh. It’s not really my issue to fix. It appears to be reporting itself as a desktop browser.

1 Like

do this issue also appear for old theme?

Is this a fairly small-screen device?
Have you perhaps manually selected “desktop” in the hamburger menu?

1 Like

Doh! sorry @jayfella, my settings were set to desktop view on my mobile device. Everything looks good now that I have corrected this.

@sailsman63 <Thanks

1 Like