New Site

The new app tries to download a jar [size=7px](that has no manifest) [/size]instead of webstarting.

What jar are you referring to?

TileMap Creator

Oh, that’s not webstarted. It’s just a link to the jar that’s external to the site. I’ll be sure to mention that in the text.

What is the name of the main class in the jar?

I don’t think there is one, it’s a tool to build tilemaps. I’m not sure though, it’s DarkProphet’s personal project.

Ok, I’m trying to get the monkey to take you home. Finding that link in the phpbb code is proving difficult…

yeah, i should have mentioned that, its a library rather than a webstart thing, you download the jar.

Attempting to submit news now reports "The page you are trying to access does not exist." I'm not quite sure which is more disconcerting: being refused access, or finding out there's nothing there anyhow.

Ok, I think I figured this out... you need to use the "new..." button at the bottom of any section. I'm a little confused what the user menu items are. I'll continue investigating.

I would have to use Mambo's forum... losing everything here.

You've inspired me! I've also gone out and downloaded mambo and am in the middle of installing it (although my web host went down from a security attack... so I'm waiting).

Anyhow, I also wanted to use the same users/passwords for my phpBB2 forums and mambo. So, when I change the php to handle this, I'll post it for you. Then you can make your own choice.

Interesting, let me know how you make out.

Guurk, as you are playing with Mambo, let me know if you are able to have new news items displayed on the front page, with the intro shown and main text hidden. All I am able to get to show up is:

news(1) or some such. I want the header to show up.

I like the new site, very professional looking. Actualy it’s a little too profossionel. While the old one was simpler it had a certain welcoming feeling. Except for the colour sheme I thought I was at some hospital website for a moment. I like the design and all, but there needs to be a certain warmth and welcoming. My opinion only though.

What would you suggest to improve that feeling?

"mojomonk" wrote:
Guurk, as you are playing with Mambo, let me know if you are able to have new news items displayed on the front page, with the intro shown and main text hidden. All I am able to get to show up is:

news(1) or some such. I want the header to show up.

I"m thinking that you want the 'read more...' thingy on the bottom of the news item so that it will link to the actual news article and only the introduction shows on the main page. If so, this is how it's done:

In the administration panel, select: Content -> News -> News Items

Select the news item's title and you can then edit the new item.

There are two sections: Intro Text, and Main Text. The main text will be linked to via the 'read more...' link.

I hope that's what you needed.

Odd…

When I edit content I have:

Title:

Title Alias:

Category:

Intro Text:

Main Text:

I check the Show on Frontpage? check box.

But still…

just news(1 item) on the front page. I’m not getting read more… anywhere.

Do you have stuff in the main text, it’s optional… but it also needs to be there? Oh, and I just remembered that there was a question about this during the installation…

From the manual:

If the content item is set to show on the Front Page, and there is content in the Main text box, then a 'read on' link will be shown, pointing to the full content item. It is possible to switch between 'clickable' titles, and a 'read on' link by going to Global Configuration>Content>Use Linked Titles, and selecting either YES or NO.

Also, you are using version 4.5?

Something odd is going on here…

I have text in both places, intro and main.

I have both checked and uncheck Use Linked Titles, but the results are still the same.

I am using 4.5 (although not using it well.)

I’m loosing it too :). I’m just a newbie myself.

Let’s see…

In the front page settings: Components-> Front Page → Settings under the parameters tab is an ‘Intro’ field. This determines how many of the news items will have the intro shown.

That’s the last thing that I can find about this issue. Final place I’d try is the mambo forums. Hope this helps.

yeah, heh I set the number of intros to 10 just to make sure. One thing I did is delete all the catagories from the initial install… perhaps it can only do it with their news category? Or a special setting for the category?

I posted on the mambo forums this weekend but no one replied.