New Sketchup Exporter for JME3 and Others

Hey all,

I’ve made an exporter for sketchup which first exports the textured faces of a model as a text file, then a binary which reads those faces and exports them as an .obj file. If you just want to download it and see how it works, here’s the link.

The readme is essentially pasted on my site, so you can read through the steps and see if it interests you before you install the program. I just released it, btw, so there may be errors. If there are, please message me or post them here, preferably with instructions on how to replicate it.

EDIT1: Updated the rawImport.cpp/3dLoad.exe program to output more descriptive material names. Changed the direct link to the new .zip file.

EDIT2: Added the option to normalize the UVs to the rawExport.rb script. This is useful when using different textures with different proportions. Changed the direct link to the new .zip file.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be “Sketcher exporter to .obj”? jME3’s native format is .j3o so an import would still need to be done obj → j3o.

Still, I don’t think there was anything like that, so kudos. :slight_smile:

@madjack said:
Shouldn't that be "Sketcher exporter to .obj"? jME3's native format is .j3o so an import would still need to be done obj -> j3o.

Still, I don't think there was anything like that, so kudos. :)

Ty. I probably should have been clearer, I assumed that it would be trivial for anyone to export from obj to ogre and import that to jme3, which is not true. On which note I probably should add a tutorial for that at some point.
So far, my own exporter has been the best for my game making purposes. The faces do need to be triangulated first, but all of the pro exporters tend to either deform some meshes irreparably or export unnessicary backfaces. I also will most likely use the txt file for various shadow calculations. In short, it's proven very useful for my applications, as I rely heavily on 3d warehouse for source models (it had a bsd-ish license since I checked, though I will need to see if this has changed with the acquisition).
1 Like
@akemp said:
Ty. I probably should have been clearer, I assumed that it would be trivial for anyone to export from obj to ogre and import that to jme3,

You can load obj files with jME3 directly.
Nice work that could be very useful.

Nice.

@nehon said:
You can load obj files with jME3 directly.
Nice work that could be very useful.

Thank you. That's true, I keep getting wrapped up in my implementation - I usually have to do a few things in blender to the model before I output it. It is possible to import the .obj models directly, along with the materials.
I've updated the program to export more descriptive materials. Nothing else important has been changed, but it should be easier to keep track of which material belongs to which texture now.