New TerraMonkey material: lights, normals, and tri-planar mapping!

I’ve just commited a new material for TerraMonkey called TerrainLighting.j3md that has some new features to make your terrain look pretty. It now supports lighting and normal maps. It currently allows for 4 diffuse maps and 4 normal maps. I will be increasing this to 12 diffuse maps and 12 normal maps. However you should keep the total maximum number of textures in your material to less than 16.

It also has Tri-planar mapping, meaning no more stretched textures on steep hills and cliffs. It will even blend the normals for you on th 3 axes.

Here are some pictures to demonstrate terrain without tri-planar mapping, and then with it enabled:

with tri-planar mapping:

You can play around with the example: TerrainTestAdvanced.java in the latest version in svn.

7 Likes

Weee lighted terrain :smiley: Great work!

Awesomeness!

Brilliant!!!

Nice job! :slight_smile:

Wow! If I may ask, is there a tutorial which takes a newbie of terrainMonkey from his poor level [and blank paper] to this kind of awesome map? Beacuse with ambients like this one, even the worst game will seem professional 8)!

This looks very nice. :slight_smile:

I still got some other question. When can we expect texturing support in the terrain editor?

Thanks in advance.

Texturing support in jMP’s terrain editor is almost ready. I say in a week or so. (my estimates are usually off though :stuck_out_tongue: ) The hard part was the material, so now that that is done, everything else should move quickly.

I will be writing up a full wiki page about how the terrain works and how the material works, I will also work with Ruth on an advanced Terrain tutorial.

It’s nice to hear that you’re making good progress with the texturing in the terrain editor. I use jMP for all my scene compositioning, so this is very useful.

That landscape looks great! I played around a little with the advanced example, a tremendous improvement.

But when I switch it to triplanar mode, the whole terrain becomes invisible. Pressing P again brings it back.

I have an old ATI Radeon 1900 card. I ran most of the other examples which looked ok, only the simple water showed a plain white surface instead of water. Any idea what might be the issue here?

hmmmm

I’m not quite sure what the issue would be and why your videocard wouldn’t be able to support it. Probably too old like you said. You can try removing the normal textures in the test case and try again, that could narrow down the issue.

Also, try upgrading your videocard drivers and see if that helps.

Sploreg said:
I'm not quite sure what the issue would be and why your videocard wouldn't be able to support it. Probably too old like you said. You can try removing the normal textures in the test case and try again, that could narrow down the issue.
Also, try upgrading your videocard drivers and see if that helps.

OpenGL viewer show the card supports OpenGL up to 2.1 100%. Removing the normal textures did not make any difference. I got the latest drivers, they are no longer updated.

Only hint I have is that all other examples are running nicely, except for the simple water tutorial where the water is just showing white.