http://mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_Test_Build

Highlights:

In game map.

Basic ambient sounds.

Some sound effects.

See the change log for details and what bugs have been fixed at this point:

http://mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=20110523_Release_Notes

2 Likes

Sound makes it even better :smiley: I also dig you added the ambient sounds first, makes the whole thing more real and gives it dimension to place direct sounds like footsteps etc. All ā€œminecraft clone!ā€ shouters will get an even bigger shock when really experiencing a day in mythruna now :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Next for sounds will be environment based changesā€¦ though the current ā€˜forestā€™ sounds work for nearly all of Mythruna. I have some sounds idea for sea side, mountains, and middle of the ocean too. Itā€™s just one more thing to spend hours and hours tweaking to get just right. :slight_smile:

Also, re: sound effects, it really bugs me that I canā€™t hear the other playersā€™ footstepsā€¦ and thereā€™s a bug where the foot step type is wrong when walking on things like ā€œbottom planksā€. Both of those go hand in hand, actuallyā€¦ so look for that soonish.

For those who didnā€™t suffer tl;dr: the next big feature on the roadmap is placeables in multiplayer. For multiplayer I need to do it for real and not just quickly tacked in like in single player. Target = two weeks. Weā€™ll see.

very nice, congrats to get the sound an the map done!

Iā€™ll check it out this evening.

Placeables? You think of the miniblock things? That would be awesome :slight_smile:

Yeah, thatā€™s what I call placeables. :slight_smile: There will be a few entity types in the gameā€¦ players are one, placeables are one, ā€˜npcsā€™ will be one, etcā€¦

Having objects placed by users that are persistent in the worldā€¦ opens up lots of other things. Map markers, claim flags, etcā€¦ plus it gives me a handy way to test some physics related stuff (collision detection mostly). But I want to get rid of the object creation temple in favor of a real ā€˜workbenchā€™ UIā€¦ so there is significant work. Crossing my fingers for a June 6trh release.

Also, hopefully I fixed the post-processing related bug that caused crashes for you during startup on that one machine. At least I think it was you. :slight_smile:

Yeah I have the one laptop unwilling to run Mythruna.

Iā€™ll try it out and hope for the best :slight_smile:

If you need a model for a workbench or a similar thing give me a call, as I love your work it would be an honor to help you out a little. But will an UI limit the possibilitie? The temples enables you to create nearly everything you can imangine (and fits in the temple). a 3D UI will be a hell of trick to do I thinkā€¦

-.- does not work on my notebook, cant even get into the main menu now.

caesar said:
-.- does not work on my notebook, cant even get into the main menu now.

That's really weird. I did my best to put the post processing initialization to the way it was in the older releases that worked for you. I'll have to double check that. :(
caesar said:
Yeah I have the one laptop unwilling to run Mythruna.
I'll try it out and hope for the best :)
If you need a model for a workbench or a similar thing give me a call, as I love your work it would be an honor to help you out a little. But will an UI limit the possibilitie? The temples enables you to create nearly everything you can imangine (and fits in the temple). a 3D UI will be a hell of trick to do I think...

It's not a classic workbench in this case... just an inverted box with textures. It will be a lot like the object creation temple only built into the UI... you'll see... :)

Downloading now, I hope it works! crosses fingers I also had problems with the way post processing was handled! if it doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ll be getting a new computer soon, I need to get back to my game dev anyway :wink:

EDIT: Tested with success up to a change in the way it logged, and a possibly useful error was in the output:

WARNING: Cannot locate native library: linux/libbulletjme.so

Do you use the physics? Possibly a playercontrol? I guess you know better than me.

BTW I have confirmed that GLSL runs fine on my computer: I do blender games/renders!

That warning is just JME. I donā€™t use bullet so itā€™s harmless.

The game continues running I assume?

Blender works fine on my notebook, too. I made the hammer with it.

As far as I can see the error log is the same, but now it appears much earlier. I get the settings window (resolution, AA settings etc) and klick ā€˜okā€™. Mythruna creates some files (server.txt and whatnot) and crashes. I ran it as admin, didnā€™t help, too.

Some strange things I noticed:

1. abrupt light change

At exactly 04:00 the light (intensity and curse) abruptly changes (in multiplayer).

2. sometimes the yellow borders of focused blocks ā€œjumpsā€ about 20 blocks away in the direction you are facing after you built a block. The newly activated block is always in the same height (same level) as the previous built. The next input event (mouse motion) sets the focus to a ā€œnormalā€ position, the one the mouse pointer is pointing to, so I have no chance to make a screenshot

3. high system load on minimizing Mythruna (seems to be a driver issue ā€“ not sure)

minimizing Mythruna stresses my system (system becomes very laggy, system load reported by uptime increases from 0.00 to 0.80 (after ~2 minutes, value keeps increasing), Gnome and applications take ~1-2 seconds to get/process Input from Mouse/Keyboard. Render time (in Mythruna) increases up to 12 seconds, CPU load (mpstat, htop) does not increase a bit, I/O (from iostat) does not increase but system keeps 88% idle.

From Console:
Render time (>100 ms):125.570347 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):122.6572 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):300.166715 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):261.80326 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):335.951121 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):299.441948 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):1610.023963 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):410.603805 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):476.443432 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):509.858554 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):300.109629 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):557.381883 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):559.88826 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):332.946544 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):1464.331467 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):591.103819 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):199.230653 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):669.788085 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):352.511927 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):1208.21227 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):358.91856 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):103.66816 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):147.243424 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):574.378603 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):2464.317473 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):112.016211 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):11769.58631 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):170.312044 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):119.817575 ms.
Render time (>100 ms):359.791228 ms.

Usually no Render time is reported.
The strange thing: this happens only if Mythruna is minimized or I switch the Desktop workspace (GNOME). NOT if Mythruna loses focus (via Alt+Tab) or I switch to a tty. It does not matter if Mythruna's Window is partly or completely overlapped.
anouser said:
Some strange things I noticed:

1. abrupt light change
At exactly 04:00 the light (intensity and curse) abruptly changes (in multiplayer).

This is because I only use one light for both the sun and the moon and I have to swap them at some point. The ambient lighting is not (yet) controlled by the day/night settings and so I have this abrupt switch. It happens at night too, but it is less noticable... but it's right when the moon 'switches on'. When I have ambient light under environment control then I'll be able to smooth out this transition.

anouser said:
2. sometimes the yellow borders of focused blocks "jumps" about 20 blocks away in the direction you are facing after you built a block. The newly activated block is always in the same height (same level) as the previous built. The next input event (mouse motion) sets the focus to a "normal" position, the one the mouse pointer is pointing to, so I have no chance to make a screenshot

For performance reasons, the highlight block only gets recalculated after a period of time. If you happen to cross a tile boundary between these times, and if it was being rendered in the next tile ahead of you, then it will appear to jump ahead.

But thanks for noticing. :) There are somewhere around 50 little things like this I plan to fix when I'm more caught up on features.

anouser said:
3. high system load on minimizing Mythruna (seems to be a driver issue ā€“ not sure)
minimizing Mythruna stresses my system (system becomes very laggy, system load reported by uptime increases from 0.00 to 0.80 (after ~2 minutes, value keeps increasing), Gnome and applications take ~1-2 seconds to get/process Input from Mouse/Keyboard. Render time (in Mythruna) increases up to 12 seconds, CPU load (mpstat, htop) does not increase a bit, I/O (from iostat) does not increase but system keeps 88% idle.
From Console:

Usually no Render time is reported.
The strange thing: this happens only if Mythruna is minimized or I switch the Desktop workspace (GNOME). NOT if Mythruna loses focus (via Alt+Tab) or I switch to a tty. It does not matter if Mythruna's Window is partly or completely overlapped.

The logs you are seeing are from some instrumentation I added right into JME's render loop. Some users were seeing odd slow downs in certain instances and I was trying to defer some of the blame. :) When JME's render pass takes longer than 1/10th of a second then I log it to the console.

There may be something I can do to handle minimizing better by not rendering. But it's JME's rendering that's slowing things down in this case.
There may be something I can do to handle minimizing better by not rendering. But itā€™s JMEā€™s rendering thatā€™s slowing things down in this case.

Ok, Mythruna keeps on rendering while minimized.
But why does it stress my system only when minimized? The rendering time is extremely high if another application (e.g. Opera, Gnome-Terminal, Thunderbird, ...) is getting user input. It seems like Mythruna/JME3 (JInput?) keeps on getting Mouse and Keyboard events on being minimized, this does not make any sense to me. I don't know how it does, but this seems to delay Input registration to other applications. So there are 2 problems:
- Mythruna keeps on rendering the window's content while being minimized
- JInput? keeps on retrieving user input while being minimized

Yeah, Iā€™m kind of baffled myself. Iā€™m just using JME to do these things so Iā€™ll have to dig into work arounds at some pointā€¦ unless the issue magically gets fixed before I get to it. :slight_smile: