New to JME and JAVA - Need to know the limitations of J Monkey

Hello all,

I am currently new to J Monkey/JAVA and I am curious about several things regarding the J Monkey Engine.

Now before i begin I must say this - I have been working with Unreal for about 2 - 3 years in terms of Level Design.

From what I can see J Monkey is a VERY extendable game development platform compared to game engines such as Unreal and even Cry Engine which require a source license to fully utilize.

However I am curious about several aspects of the J Monkey Engine.

Texture Limits, Level design and Optimizing Levels/Assets within J Monkey are some of my questions of the day.

What are the max limit on textures within J Monkey before they become cumbersome on the CPU/GPU? (2096x2096 or higher/lower)

From what I See in the “terra monkey” it is quite extendable but are there any pre set level design guide lines for J Monkey?

What is the Art pipeline like? What format do the assets need to be in to be imported into JMonkey? Can I define a custom Asset Pipeline? ( Example: .FBX, DAE, etc. )

As for Level/asset Optimization - are there any tools for this? (GPU Profiling? CPU Profiling?)

Thank you for your time

Ben aka Head Clot

Hello Ben,

@headclot said:I am currently new to J Monkey/JAVA and I am curious about several things regarding the J Monkey Engine.

You're going to want to rectify the lack of Java knowledge first. http://www.javabeginner.com/

@headclot said:What are the max limit on textures within J Monkey before they become cumbersome on the CPU/GPU? (2096x2096 or higher/lower)

It depends on the GPU. They each have maximum texture sizes, and you'd do well to refer to the whitesheets for your expected audience hardware. My MacBook Pro from mid-2010 supports up to 8096x8096 textures.

@headclot said:From what I See in the "terra monkey" it is quite extendable but are there any pre set level design guide lines for J Monkey?

Sculpt the terrain how you want it, load from a heightmap, or generate through code. Its up to you as long as the terrain system receives a square block with height values :)

@headclot said:What is the Art pipeline like? What format do the assets need to be in to be imported into JMonkey? Can I define a custom Asset Pipeline? ( Example: .FBX, DAE, etc. )

OGRE XML is preferred.

@headclot said:As for Level/asset Optimization - are there any tools for this? (GPU Profiling? CPU Profiling?)

You can use standard Java profiling tools. Yourkit, VisualVM, etc. OS X has a built in OpenGL profiler and I have seen similar tools for the other operating systems. If you have a recent ATI card (4xxx series or later I think), GPU-Z will actually show GPU utilization in its monitoring pane.

Welcome to jME!
3 Likes

You will get to grips with jme in no time! especially if your already an active game developer. Go through the tutorials, they detail most of jme’s capabilities, and explain everything very well

1 Like

The SDK comes with a profiler, you can install it via Tools->Plugins

1 Like

Given your background, probably 80% of your questions will come from lack of Java knowledge. So I second the advice to learn more Java before attempting to write a game in Java.

1 Like
@sbook said:
You're going to want to rectify the lack of Java knowledge first. http://www.javabeginner.com/

:D. +1 for that!
1 Like