New to JME, having trouble setting it up on Eclipse 3.5, Mac

Hello JME community!

As I said I am new to JME, and am having a very hard time getting it set up. I'm using eclipse 3.5, on Mac OSX 10.5.8.

I'm following the tutorial "Setting up Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede) to build JME2, JMEPhysics2" found at:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php/setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme_2

I couldn't find one for Eclipse 3.5, besides the video tutorial (which I really can't follow at all it's too fast and small).

It appears that I got SVN working properly, and JME working (sort of properly… I got the first flag tutorial running ok).

My problem is that in Eclipse, i have 400 Errors and 600 warnings listed. For me, this is a huge problem because i'm somewhat new to Java, i make tons of errors so I rely on that problem thing to catch all 10000 errors I make.

I think the problem may have to do with the fact that there is no lwgl.jar or swt.jar located in the JME folder, while resolving the build path issues in the tutorial. I chose to do the build path of lwgyl.jar instead since it was the most similar to lwgl.jar.

Any help resolving this issue would be much appreciated!

Adam

Also, in reading some previous forum posts looking for answers to my problem, it seems like it's customary to explain my project a bit…

I'm relatively new to Java in general. I had an idea for a project, and figured it would be a good excuse to get started learning Java. I found that I had a knack for it, and in just a few months my little idea turned into a big one. The idea is an Evolution simulator that mimics the genetic mechanisms of evolution in real life. This means that genes could be  mutated / duplicated / deleted etc… The catch is I wanted actual animals competing for life on the screen, so you could watch evolution happen! I've already accomplished a pretty good simulation of my basic idea using basic shapes (g.drawOval  haha ) , and figured the next step would be making it look pretty. I did some research, and it seems like JME is a really good engine to use, and the fact that it supports Blender, which I messed with a few years ago, is a HUGE plus.

Without detailing all 400 errors, first make sure of a few things:

1: You have the native path set up for LWJGL (it sounds like you do if the tutorials are running).  If not, right-click the jME project, click properties and select "Java Build Path".  In the libraries tab, drop down lwjgl.jar and select "Native Library Location" and click Edit.  From there, choose workspace, and navigate to the jme/lib/lwjgl/native folder and select the one for OS X.

2: SWT integration with Mac is a bit hairy, remove SWT.jar from your buildpath and try using SWT fake…  The latest SWT jar available from the Eclipse website seems to work but at this late stage I'm personally just waiting for Eclipse 3.6 to come out and will put that into the jME trunk assuming it works.

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Your solution for the SWT fixed all the errors, however there were still 391 warnings from eclipse. It seems most of them were of the type: " __ is never used locally", or "___ should be parameterized" etc…

I was able to get rid of the warnings by turning on project specific settings, and ignored all the compiler warnings, in JME's properties box.

Thanks again, and I look forward to figuring out JME.

Adam

Sorry about the bit of delay, but I had a busy weekend and didn't actually get a chance to continue with the tutorials.

now that I've had a chance now to continue with the tutorials, a new problem appears. W

henever I try to run my programs I get errors appear in the console and my programs don't start. These are the errors:

2010-04-27 22:37:29.531 java[18844:80f] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Enabled

2010-04-27 22:37:29.533 java[18844:80f] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Setting timeout for SWT to 0.100000

2010-04-27 22:37:30.492 java[18844:14103] *** -[NSConditionLock unlock]: lock (<NSConditionLock: 0x1a12a0> '(null)') unlocked when not locked

2010-04-27 22:37:30.492 java[18844:14103] *** Break on _NSLockError() to debug.

Removing the swt.jre from the buildpath in the JME project gets rid of the run-time errors and my program runs ok (the fake swt that you suggested I try), but the Eclipse compiler errors reappear.

Yeah, I know this error well :)  You can be assured that leaving all of the SWT jar's off your classpath and just using jME won't produce any problems as long as you steer clear of SWT integration…

I think what you mean is that I delete the swt.jar from the jme:properties>java build path>libraries list?  If so, Yes, I don't get any errors when I try to run the programs. However, when I get rid of swt, my original problem in eclipse remains.

I have something like 400 compiler errors /warnings that it's warning me about, and it's flooding out actual errors that I make in my own Projects.

Is there a way to get rid of the references to SWT in the JME project? or a way to completely turn off these error warnings for the JME project?

Thanks again for your continued help. I'm sure this is a noobish problem, and I appreciate your patience :slight_smile:

Adam

There's the swt.jar and then there's the jme-swt.jar, you need to take out both.  (jme-swt effectively removes that component from the jME libs)… sorry, I should have been clearer about that.

Thanks again sbook! That seems to have solved all the errors! Thank you so much for all your help.

Adam