New user issues

Sorry guys, Im sure these kinds of posts are annoying, but I am new to JME and am having some issues simply running the Hello World example in the user's guide. At first I was using LWJGL Version .97 with version .8 of jme. I was having the "GL_RGB_MULTITEXTURE" error which a few people had been having. After browsing this forum I learned I needed to have version .94 of lwjgl. So I downloaded version .94 and got it up and running alone. I retried the simple HelloWorld program again and got the error: "

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Stack overflow (1283)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:56)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.update(Display.java:457)

at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLRenderer.displayBackBuffer(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)

at messa.TestGame.main(TestGame.java:30)

"

After browsing again I learned that this normally has to do with driver conflicts with the graphics card. Thus, I checked what I am running for a graphics card (intel 852GM chipset) and upgraded to the latest possble driver. I still have this error. I dont know what to do from here. So I ask for your help. As I said before, both versions of the LWJGL had been working perfectly for me as I have been running it for months. I dont see how it could be a driver conflict if JME is a wrapping over LWJGL and I have no errors using the LWJGL directly. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Mike.

As an alternative you could download jME from CVS (see the wiki or search the forum on how to do this with Eclipse) and run the latest LWJGL. Since these are more recent (escp. LWJGL) they might solve some graphics card related issues.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will give this a try. Ill post my findings. Thanks again.

I checked out the newest code from cvs and compiled it. I also reinstalled the latest version of LWJGL. I still get the before mentioned stack overflow error. Any other suggestions? Thanks,

Mike.

Make sure you clean out all LWJGL versions you might have installed, and just use the one in the lib directory from CVS. This will insure that there are no version conflicts. If the problem persists, make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed.

Ok, I cleaned out all the current LWJGL. I am using the just compiled source for JME, and the accompanied LWJGL binaries and libraries. I am back to the initial problem I had:

java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: GL_ARB_multitexture

at com.jme.scene.state.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureState.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLRenderer.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createWindow(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.SimpleGame.initSystem(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)

at TestSimpleGame.main(TestSimpleGame.java:48)

This is the very first problem I had before reverting to LWJGL version .94. So I've come full circle now and have gotten nowhere. And, as I already stated in my original post, I have downloaded and installed the latest version of my graphics driver. If anyone has any help or light to shed on this issue please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike.

If you are getting that error then you are most likely NOT using cvs jME.  Perhaps you still have a copy of the .8 version in your classpath somewhere?

Well I seam to have fixed the problem. Unfortunately the fix WAS a graphics driver update. I already updated my driver however; apparently there was an even newer version out. I learned the hard way that "certain manufacturers" do not stay up to date w/ driver updates and one should really update directly from the manufacturer of the hardware and not the PC as a whole. Sorry to have wasted your time. Thank you for all input. Im sure I'll be posting soon with more interesting questions!

How a driver update would fix a java.lang.NoSuchFieldError issue is beyond me.  :P  But whatever; glad it is working for you.