New website front page

Looks good!

Really cool!

Hai… can you tell plez where to stick it?
http://i.imgur.com/gJaOK73.png

kthxbye

1 Like

Sorry, you are using outdated technology you can’t stick ajax in that.

1 Like

ajax is outdated

It depends on which ajax you are talking about, I use this

and it’s great.

1 Like

Yeah that’s exactly the javascript trend… 5 different products that do exactly the same thing…

Yeah the basic technology is the same but then it’s implemented in various scents to make it more appealing to the user.
But detergents’ market apart, I’d like also to get a feedback about the idea.

I will answer the same thing as before. it’s a web page, it’s not a web application. I’d like that we do not cross the line, to allow people with very basic knowledge about web dev to be able to enhance/maintain the site without too much trouble.

Although I generally dislike the new long scroll website format because it’s annoying to use, I’d say you did really good job.

Neat.

Ah, ok. I read your previous answer as “I don’t want to have server side code”. I’ve never understood the difference between a web application without serverside code and a web page with code that is executed on the client machine. From my point of view they are the same thing.

The huge difference is that one is hostable on github, not the other.
We could make some more dynamic things with javascript and all, but I don’t even want to go there.

1 Like

Github doesn’t even care about your client side code.
I think there is a misunderstanding here… ajax is a subset of javascript that allows you to send http requests and get xml (officially, but in truth everything), it’s not something like nodejs.
So totally hostable on github.

Yeah I thought you were talking about server side app.

Yes… I know that. Web dev is unfortunately my every day job since 16 years… :frowning: Why do you think that I do game dev in my spare time… to blow off the steam…
And that’s also the reason why I hate doing web dev in my spare time.

3 Likes

keep it plain simple. I like the current style no need for fancy stuff just a landing page like you prpose. for me I need a link to download checked a link to the documentation checked and as a goody a link to the forum checked :wink:

maybe showcases but they where not that important for me. the main readon was that outstanding uptodate documentation with samples which really work in copy paste manner as well that easy SDK which makes it a joy. There are not that manny open source projects for game dev with that easiness and many scared me away because the samples where not uptodate or did not complie and so on.

For the engine like JME, the showcase is very important. Everyone knows what Unity can do, but almost no one knows what JME can. For a random user it is important to see what other random users are able to do.

3 Likes

The new site looks really nice, good job! :thumbsup:

But I can’t read everything on my Android phone. I’m not a mobile HTML guru, but I’ll might give it a try if I find a suitable time slot.

I tried to have some responsive behavior, but tbh I didn’t test it on my phone, so there might be some adaptation to do, like increasing the font size.

People often say that… The fact is… we never really had to do it… people around here are most often java dev that want to use what they know to make a game… Not really people looking for the “best engine ever”.
Also, we don’t really care about success… having 100000 users won’t get us more money than 10. So basically marketing is not that important for the engine.

However I do understand that it’s important for games to be featured in this showcase.

1 Like

Ok for me other things were more important. Easiness, up to date docu, helpful forum were I learned tons of things. But of course a show case section is nice to have. And yeah just make that PR and we have it :wink: