Newbie needs general directions

Hello everyone! Just joined this forum after a while of toying around with the SDK and following the absolute beginner tutorials.

I have to say, JMonkeyEngine is great. While I’m still trying to wrap my head around the basics of the interface, I have no choice but to admit JME3’s superiority over other engines. And it’s open source! And that makes it rise high above the bar that other engines have set. These are first impressions though, and there are a few things I want to ask to get a general idea of how scripting and coding works in JME3.

First off, I’d like to know your opinions of how JME3 compares to Ogre 3D in terms of rendering capabilities. I recall something about Ogre being used for rendering in JME, but am too lazy to check right now, sowwy :confused:

Second thing on my mind is large ocean rendering. This would be fairly simple to implement, I think. What I would do is have three planes of different sizes placed in the same place. The innermost one would have a complex water shader, the center one a simple water shader, and the outer ring would have maybe a small amount of reflections. This is in case there wont be any swimming/sailing. How would I do an ocean LOD system if I for example decided to implement sailing to islands in the distance while still maintaining the maximum amount of detail?

Also, is it possible to make the mesh deform in order to make waves? Even huge ones? With collision?

Third thing is terrain rendering. If I had two meshes for a four square kilometre area of fairly mountainous terrain (random example), one very detailed and one that only has the basic forms, how would I make it so that only a small portion of the low detail terrain is replaced by the high detail mesh? And just to clarify, I’m looking for something that allows the whole terrain to be viewed at once from maybe a high mountain.

Number four on my imaginary list is cloth physics. I imagine a character running across the fields and his cape waving in the winds behind him. How would this be implemented?

My fifth question is about collision meshes. How big and complicated can a collision mesh get before it starts getting unreliable and glitchy? Maybe for a colossus that also moves?

Sixth thing is blender support. I’m aware that the file format for models that JME supports is .mesh.xml. So far the only exporter I’ve found for blender 2.6+ has only been able to export in .scene format. Could some kind individual post the process of exporting a rigged, animated, textured, normal- and alpha-mapped character from the newest blender versions and importing it to JME so that it can access its animations and so forth? Also a link to the most up-to-date blender exporter would be nice too :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to joining the JME3 community. Thank you all in advance and have a good day :wink:

1. Ogre and jME3 are basically doing the same thing when it comes to how they use OpenGL, so they are basically performing the same and giving the same options from that standpoint. You can go all the way down to coding the shaders yourself.
  2. Just enable the water filter that comes with jME3 and read about it in the manual :slight_smile:
  3. This is done though LOD and paging, both of which are supported by jME3. Again, check the manual
  4. Through animation or by using animation bones with physics like its done in the rag doll example
  5. Its not about the size of the single mesh when its single units really, the mesh can still be quite simple as hull collision shapes have to be used for movable objects anyway. Though large terrain should be partitioned to offload work to the physics broadphase calculation.
  6. The exporter for ogre files comes with the SDK and can be installed via Tools->OgreXML (as described in the manual on importing models). The blender importer is a WIP still but it can import most properly game-compatible models directly from blend files. Just use the model importer (and make sure you have the latest updates (Help->Check for Updates)
1 Like

Wow, that was fast. I thank you for your help, and will read through the manual as soon as I can.

One more question which I forgot to ask in the first post, is how do I create ribbon trails? Like a line that follows a point and curves along its path. Don’t know how to explain it better.

Move a particle emitter (possibly using cinematics tracks).