Newton physics

Hi everyone,

I've been playing with the odejava available through jme-physics. I really need to able to use the thing as accurately as it can, which means not using the quick or fast simulator modes. I am however experiencing lots of stack overflows when collisions occur and setting the Java stack larger isn't helping. Infact it seems very unstable.

I have just taken a look at what Newton is capable of, and it seems extremely advanced. I know it isn't open source, but does anyone here know of anyone with plans to make some bindings for Java? I saw that the new jme-physics is planning to be engine agnostic, but is it the case that javaode is actually the only one available?

I also read on a post some time back that there was going to be an all java version ode which would solve the instability issues?

Any thoughts on the above would be great, as I'm undertaking a large project which requires the capabilities of jme-physics (nice to use rigid body physics together with a nice scenegraph)… but I'm worried about going down the javaode road (in jme-physics) with its current problems.

Thanks,

Richard.

Hey all.  I’m making a wrapper for the Newton Physics game engine so it can work with Java. I am quite pleased with the results. Right now it only has a few callbacks done. I made this pretty much for myself and my projects, but if more people get interested in it, I will continue with a full port ( if possible ).

It doesn’t use jME, but uses LWJGL for rendering ( which is included, as is the newton dll ).

Here is a demo I made, which I got from one of the Newton demos.

-gaara

I don't know if anyone is eager enough to use Newton (I'm happy with ODE) to make a jME Physics binding. But if yes your work would be of great help, gaara. Good job! (as far as I can see from the result, of course)

Any volunteers for coding a jME Physics binding around? :smiley:

I might be willing a ways down the road, at the moment I'm just completely bogged down with all the other tasks I have undone, but I would be interested in a comparison between Newton and ODE to determine the usefulness of such a binding.

darkfrog