Nifty 1.4 or 2.0?

Hey @void256,

do you think it makes sense to update jME to nifty 1.4 or is 2.0 around the corner? I was changing the libraries to 1.4 and there seem to be a lot of changes, most of our nifty classes had some classes missing or other errors.

Changing to Nifty 1.4 would be great! Yes, there will be some incompatibilities … in the jme integration (but if I remember correctly, it shouldn’t be that bad? :S) and in user code as well. There have been quite some refactorings in Nifty 1.4 so there might be some issues when migrating from 1.3 to 1.4 but in general it should be quite compatible / OK.

Nifty 2.0 made some good progress in the past but is still too far away from being close to being ready. So, no 2.0 for the time being.

2 Likes
@void256 said: Changing to Nifty 1.4 would be great! Yes, there will be some incompatibilities .. in the jme integration (but if I remember correctly, it shouldn't be *that* bad? :S) and in user code as well. There have been quite some refactorings in Nifty 1.4 so there might be some issues when migrating from 1.3 to 1.4 but in general it should be quite compatible / OK.

Nifty 2.0 made some good progress in the past but is still too far away from being close to being ready. So, no 2.0 for the time being.

Some of the batch renderer stuffs wasn’t available among other things and honestly I don’t know what to use instead. The gradle build in master is fixed now so you can try yourself by changing the nifty version in the jme3-niftgui/build.gradle file. This would be for 3.1 anyway so breaking changes don’t matter too much really.