Nifty-gui editor

@nehon said:
I tested it and it's good so far.

Though, maybe i'm the only one, but I've been quite frustrated to not being able to see the generated code :p

I had already thought about that but it was a bit complicated to implement and maintain the visual view consistent! so i decide to not add that by now. Anyway you always can open the generated xml file when you save your gui :)
@relucri said:
I had already thought about that but it was a bit complicated to implement and maintain the visual view consistent! so i decide to not add that by now. Anyway you always can open the generated xml file when you save your gui :)

Is the core classes of this independent from the UI? I'd like to use this more as a library and basically recreate the UI in the SDK like it is now (palette, explorer etc).

Yes they are ! Thereā€™s a factory class where you can ask for a gui instance and create sigle elments to add in the gui. I basically use Model - Controller - View pattern to desing the editor :slight_smile: By the way in the next version i provide all the documentation you need and if you need help iā€™m glad to lend a hand :).

4 Likes
@relucri said:
Yes they are ! There's a factory class where you can ask for a gui instance and create sigle elments to add in the gui. I basically use Model - Controller - View pattern to desing the editor :) By the way in the next version i provide all the documentation you need and if you need help i'm glad to lend a hand :).

Cool, that sounds awesome :D

@relucri: Iā€™ve been watching your efford in this GUI Editor.

Impressive at first. Keep it up man, this one will ROCK! :stuck_out_tongue:

For the future, if you want to go integrate this Editor into the SDK (Netbean Platform) , from my experiences it will be HARD and BIG problem!

But I think youā€™re far good enough for the challenge. Beat it!

1. Integrate with the SDK, which itā€™s Netbean Platform. == Hard one, but there are ready-to-use codes from the Core.
  2. Use XAM API of Netbean (which has Golden features in XML Editing)== Hard one, Iā€™ve tried but you can use some of my codes.

My experiences in those challenges:

2 Usecases :
  3. User create XML - View/Edit it - Visual edit it- To XMLā€¦ so on
  4. User create Control/Style/ ā€¦ a lot of other things related to an XML, can our Editor link and edit all of them?

From the current NiftyEditor of SDK, we can

Create XML->View it-> Back to XML/ Edit-> Viewit

Now Visual Editing can help a lot, but is this really easy to program, not so easy I thought.

These are some of my opinions, please correct them:

In Netbean RAW architect:

Model : Our Nifty Element

View :

----( Hidden) also our nifty Element

---- Node of Netbean Explorer

Controller :

ā€” Your Editor component code ( Iā€™ve also looked at the codes of Pgi, so I guess you use them same one), which modify the structure of NiftyElement

---- also though hidden mechanic of Property API of Netbean

====================================================

In this approach:
  • Your XML is parsed by Nifty core to a Tree ā†’ then you read that to construct your tree of Node-> Construct Properties
  • User edit/ Select Explorer Nodes

> Hidden Netbean mechanic changes Node properties ---> Nifty elements (Model) changes
- User edit/ Select visually
> Your mechanic changes Nifty Elements
- User edit XML
> The tree is re-parsed

===========================================================
This solution is simple, good enough to use... but RAW. We can't use a lot of Golden features of XML API of Netbean, just some of them!
I have finish that kind of Editor but not feel satisfy with that yet. Then I looked at XAM API.
In which:
- We can use XAM API to synchronize the changes in two tree, so no redundant changes are needed.
- We can can expand to support a lot of features like editing separete Style, separate Control. Link all of them together without re-load.

In XAM API architect:

Model : XAM Model - Different from the RAW Approach

View :
----( Hidden) our nifty Element
---- Node of Netbean Explorer

Controller :
---- REWRITEN

Flow:
XAM Model is the main MODEL of MVC, other elements are VIEW.
- User edit/ Select Explorer Nodes
> Hidden Netbean mechanic changes Node properties (View Controller) -> XAM Model changes ---> Nifty elements changes.
- User edit/ Select visually
> Your mechanic know what Nifty Elements is selected -> Find which XAM Element in the same tree structures ---> Nifty elements changes + Netbean Node changes
- User edit XML
> XAM API -> XAM Model changes ---> Other changes

There are two problems:
1) From Nifty Element -> XAM Element: Travel the tree structure: This link method needs improvement
2) XAM API is complicated and sadly not-good documented.

Anyway, I've write the XAM Model and simple View part of this solution. The Controller is not complete yet (and never because I didn't have time and I abandoned it :p).

Sorry for the long post and I don't know what you've already researched but I want to help if I can. Please let me know you opinion or solutions!

First of all i open a forum in Nifty-Editorā€™s site! to talk about problems and bugs. I think itā€™s more conversant :).

About the integration, Thanks thanks thanks atomix your consideration/experiences itā€™s very useful ! Now i have some starting point ! i need to studing XAM ( i think itā€™s the best choice ) and it takes a bit time unfortunally :smiley: but first nifty-editor needs somechanges to make it more userfriendly and usable for evry day work :slight_smile: . So again thanks your help will not be wasted :smiley: :smiley: . I donā€™t know but maybe also normen could help he seems to be interested in isnā€™t it? Stay tuned for updates and news!

1 Like

Oh, I dienā€™t mean that you should do that @relucri, I planned to do that myself actually ^^ And I also not quite agree that its as complicated as @atomix says but thanks for the info anyway :slight_smile:

Oh, I dienā€™t mean that you should do that @relucri, I planned to do that myself actually And I also not quite agree that its as complicated as @atomix says but thanks for the info anyway

Nice to hear that ! but I would be happy to work with you if you want !

Fast news about the forum on my blog. Never mind! :D If you have a problem with Nifty-Editor please use JME forum and write on the topic title Nifty-Editor [your problem] because it's easier to find for me . Thanks! :)

An other fast news today starts work on Nifty-Editor v 0.6 read on blog: http://niftyguieditor.altervista.org/theres-something-in-the-air-nifty-editor0-6/
tell me your consideration! here or there :P

Well I sure wonā€™t stop you :smiley: Effectively whats there with the current editor is supposed to be extended with your libraryā€¦ :slight_smile: When I looked into the code etc. Iā€™ll map out a bit more specifically how it could look so we can dig into it :smiley:

Ok ! thank you normen :smiley: . Two fast news!

First : I managed to work PopUp menus also in MainView !

Last : I enable a little newsletter system to keep in touch and to advice you about Nifty-Editor minor updates!

As usual for further information you can look at : my blog

Hey guys! Nifty-Editor is still under development!! have a look here :
http://niftyeditor.it/nifty-editor-0-5-5/
and here :

New version will be soon aviable!! XD

7 Likes

Nice !!!

Resize/position system will help a lot, good feature !

I think this should be integrated in the SDKā€¦in the design mode we already have a preview of the xml fileā€¦combine the two things will be great :slight_smile:

Oh nice :slight_smile: good job!

Wow! Itā€™s improved so much! The moving of elements when a window is resized was a good idea.

Keep up the good work. Only those who dare to battle will ever conquer.

Thank you all guys!! :slight_smile: you make me very happy :lol: . Now the new version is aviable to download ! Please go here: http://niftyeditor.it/nifty-editor-0-5-5-release/?doing_wp_cron=1359285202.3406240940093994140625 and tell me what you think about it!

See you for next updates

Cris ^^

2 Likes

Fast news I made a single jar version of Nifty-Editor0.5.5 with also few changes that is :

• tabbed view in GuiView ( in the next version could be used for multilple GUI projects )
  • Ctrl+MouseDrag to resize an Element and mantain its proportions
  • SplashScreen with very simple loading bar

Direct link:
http://niftyeditor.it/download/3/

1 Like

This is looking great!

@relucri Nice job!!! I tested your editor on Linux Kubuntu. Works fine.

Donā€™t forget to add tabGroups. To make tabs.

Also 2 questions:

• do you have donation button?
  • Can you tell future plans of the nifty editor?