NiftyTextField: input of japanese letters

@gouessej Well, you won’t get an IME with NEWT then, at least not in Windows with full-screen mode, because you need to handle some extra events for DXUT. Assuming I read that web page right, of course :slight_smile:
But do you have an IME installed? Preferrably one of those that display their own input field and use a dropdown for fast selection once the set of alternative characters is down to less than a handful.

JME would have to let go of a grabbed mouse to properly support that kind of IMEs.

All assuming that full IME support in fullscreen mode is doable, or even desirable.
It would be interesting how games like Starcraft handle this. I’ve been seeing several screencasts of that, including situations where they chat in-game, but it seems they always use English. I don’t know whether that’s because having an IME would detract too much from the screen action, or whether they simply use English as a matter of course.

I can’t be 100% affirmative yet but in no way JogAmp APIs are bound to any APIs that compose DirectX. We use some APIs of the operating system but not those of DirectX. For example, I plan to use the Raw Input API but not DirectInput. Under Windows it is possible to use Win32 Multilingual IME Application Programming Interface.

Right, given the general nongenerality of Windows it’s entirely possible that DXUT isn’t the right API for OpenGL fullscreen mode.
Maybe it is anyway. You never know with MS :wink:

Given the answer on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/434048/how-do-you-use-ime, since it doesn’t mention leveraging IMEs for full-screen mode, it seems that you’d indeed have to code up your own IME.
Except you can’t unless you know how Japanese, Chinese, Koreans etc. expect to work with their IME. Doesn’t look too good :frowning:

Well, since Nifty now has updated, native JOGL support (thanks to the JOGL people!) I’ve done some more testing.

It works for me with (Nifty-) native JOGL NEWT.
It does not work with (Nifty-) native LWJGL (2.9.0) too! And since jME uses LWJGL internally I’d suspect that it experienced the same problem.

I can only comment for Mac OS X though since that is what I’ve been testing (using Java 1.6 and 1.7 as mentioned before).Didn’t find anything on their issue tracker at least not at first glance.

I’m pretty sure this has worked before with LWJGL. I’m german and if öäü does not work I would realize this pretty quick :wink:

<cite>@void256 said:</cite> Well, since Nifty now has updated, native JOGL support (thanks to the JOGL people!) I've done some more testing.

It works for me with (Nifty-) native JOGL NEWT.

This is the expected behaviour :-D
<cite>@void256 said:</cite> It does not work with (Nifty-) native LWJGL (2.9.0) too! And since jME uses LWJGL internally I'd suspect that it experienced the same problem.

I can only comment for Mac OS X though since that is what I’ve been testing (using Java 1.6 and 1.7 as mentioned before).Didn’t find anything on their issue tracker at least not at first glance.

I’m pretty sure this has worked before with LWJGL. I’m german and if öäü does not work I would realize this pretty quick :wink:

If you can’t write “du bist ein schönes Fräulein” (it means “you’re a beautiful young lady”), it will be very problematic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It would be fine to detect in which version it stops working to ask its maintainers to fix this regression.

1 Like

Works in 2.8.5 but does not work in 2.9.0 or in a nightly build of 2.9.1. I’ve reported an issue in the LWJGL github issue tracker here: Keyboard.getEventCharacter() does not return germanic umlauts anymore (lwjgl-2.9.0) (OS X 10.8.4) · Issue #50 · LWJGL/lwjgl · GitHub

PS: @gouessej I don’t think a lot of people say “Fräulein” anymore … well, if you say it with a french accent it will still work, I guess :smiley:

Inputting of € (AltGr+E on my Keyboard) does not work.
Pasting it into the textfield also does NOT work.

Inputting of € (AltGr+E on my Keyboard) does not work

If both paste and keyboard input does not work, you first should check FNT file for the id=8364 presence.

The LWJGL issue has been fixed. 2.9.1 is not released yet but as far as my testing with LWJGL nightly build goes this works now (on OS X since thats what I tested)