No Android targets available after Android Studio upgrade to 2.3

Well, the target issue only comes into play when you use Android SDK (ASDK) version 25.3.0 or newer, since the ‘android’ command has been deprecated in that version. The jME SDK uses the android command to get the list of available targets. Older versions of the Android SDK work fine in this respect.

I took a quick look at the new commands (sdkmanager and avdmanager) in ASDK 25.3 and I did not see a way to produce the list of installed targets in a similar way the ‘android list target’ command did. In fact I did not see any command options that shows me what actually was installed! I’m sure there is a way to get the list but it might require some digging, at least more than my brief look.

Well googling brought something like --list but it returns everything so you would need regexp or a redesign of the ui to have a listview and such.

@normen why do we handle the sdk on our own instead of the android Plugin btw?

That’s true.

sdkmanager --list tells you what SDK tools are installed and the android platform serial numbers - I was kind of hoping to get the same target list (target version numbers) as from the android command and kind of just saw the ‘Available Packages’ output, which isn’t that helpful in this case. Ah well, I suppose it’s easy to map between the serial numbers and the version numbers …

So the android project gets the data and classes, like the code you write for your game and the libraries and stuff you add to the main project.

Ahem… already done Release jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.1.0 Stable · jMonkeyEngine/sdk · GitHub

…or maybe you intended Netbeans 8.2? In this case yes, I agree with you :slight_smile:

That release is with netbeans8.2.

I want one with netbeans 8.1 because of the above issue

We did update the android plugin, though. But it could be that it’s only on master or that the issue is related with a netbeans 8.2 internal.

The thing is I don’t want to confuse anyone, mhh

Sure but isn’t NBAndroid capable of managing the targets and installing new images and such?
I tried to play around with sdkmanager and avd for nearly a day and well, it wasn’t that easy, let alone the fact that you need to configure the avd to point to the correct system images when you have a custom avd location and all that fuzz.

Plus that stupid text truncating does not help, you can use --verbose but yeah parsing isn’t that easy.
It also feels like doing what has been done three times already. In addition to that there seems to be a sdkmanager.jar at least for the old sdk version before the new tool came, maybe we can directly call that?

Honestly the best would be an android studio exporter I think because we have many things to consider otherwise, let alone debugging and all that stuff.

Well the current jME SDK functionality is nothing more than an exporter really. We use command line tools to create a - basically standalone - Android project and just inject the needed code and jars to that, then let that project do its thing, controlling it from the outside through ant.

Okay, seems I have to look into the android code first to understand it a bit more.
Because now I wonder why we need to know the users targets and such when we could simply publish a gradle project

Well you configure the project when you set it up…