No javadoc in com.jme3.terrain.noise.* or documentation about noise or filters

@sgold said: You might want to look also at the 2D Perlin noise generator I wrote for SkyControl:

GitHub - stephengold/jme3-utilities: Reusable code and assets for jMonkeyEngine games (code has New BSD license)

And this is how thing should look. Good quality code. Respect bro!

1 Like

Iā€™ll vote in here too: I think TerrainQuads, lods and neighbourfinder groups should still be maintained in the core since they are proper mesh and can work well with anything else.

TerrainGrid can go, its not like jME imo and is too out of date. I believe someones working on an official paging alternative and Iā€™m still slowly working on mine as well. (terraintiler isnā€™t dead btw, just been busy with life and the world editor for it and noones asked anything about it so Iā€™ve left it alone.)

As for the OP, to be honest the noise libs I assumed were part of TerrainGrid so never went there but I agree with the OP that I find quite a lot of functions have blank or no javadoc references and left me frustrated. Only sometimes was I able to figure it out by looking at the raw code other times I had to drop it and write my own way around it but it has been one thing slowing my work down. Since Iā€™m not fantastic with java or jME I rely on javadocs to figure stuff out, failing that I go to the online docos then I search the forums, too often I come up empty or confused.

my 2c, thanks.

ā€“ Radan.

I think itā€™s funny how ā€œnot in coreā€ somehow means ā€œdoesnā€™t existā€. :wink:

Sadly, core donā€™t have api. I will not blow dependency because of Vector3f. We can look how many MyMath, MyVector or MyUtils are in git because of avoiding cross dependency. This sucks :frowning:

Iā€™m almost ready for release of MonkeyEntropy. For now i have only EntropyStudio what is just java/python visualizer. It will search for float getPixel (float, float, float) in text and run it. By default i shipping improved perlin. Distributed AS IT, standalone multiplatform jar. Enjoy :smiley:

http://adf.ly/6609858/entropystudio-02

Youā€™ve lost me here, Piotr. Why do you say the core doesnā€™t have an API?

Sure, the JME3 core can be improved upon, but that doesnā€™t mean it sucks.

@sgold said: You've lost me here, Piotr. Why do you say the core doesn't have an API?

Sure, the JME3 core can be improved upon, but that doesnā€™t mean it sucks.

I donā€™t sad JME sucks :wink: Reinventing wheels like Vector3f sucks :wink:

I still donā€™t understand. jME has a Vector3f (https://github.com/jmaasing/jmonkeyengine/tree/3.0/engine/src/core/com/jme3/math)

But if you mean: Why does jME have a Vector3f when there are other implementations? Yes, but which one would you like that jME used?
I really wish that javax.vecmath would have been included in the JDK but it isnā€™t so there is no ā€œstandardā€ Vector3f.

But i donā€™t want have all engine in dependency in my noise plugin. If You ever modded minecraft, You will spend more time in dependency fixing, than in mod/plugin development.

Maybe this is reason that we haveā€¦

@pspeed said: I think it's funny how "not in core" somehow means "doesn't exist". ;)
@jmaasing said: I still don't understand. jME has a Vector3f (https://github.com/jmaasing/jmonkeyengine/tree/3.0/engine/src/core/com/jme3/math)

But if you mean: Why does jME have a Vector3f when there are other implementations? Yes, but which one would you like that jME used?
I really wish that javax.vecmath would have been included in the JDK but it isnā€™t so there is no ā€œstandardā€ Vector3f.

Nor would it likely be optimal for game development.

@SQLek said: But i don't want have all engine in dependency in my noise plugin. If You ever modded minecraft, You will spend more time in dependency fixing, than in mod/plugin development.

Maybe this is reason that we haveā€¦

Yeah, if you are making a non-JME specific lib then of course you will have to pick your own math classes and translate. Not sure itā€™s worth the trouble, though. Certainly makes it less enticing for any real time stuff in JME.