Non-Public Category for handing out STEAM keys?

Hi monkeys!

I intended to give away some free STEAM keys for my game Exotic Matter, but I can’t post a link to a give away page because the whole forum is basically public (which ofc makes perfectly sense most of the time). So I wanted to suggest to have maybe a non-public category for registered members where ppl can hand out keys for their games?

You could just put a post here saying “Hey! Message me through the forums to get a Steam key!” Let’s you filter/ignore people that you don’t want to give your key to.

2 Likes

You could just put a post here saying “Hey! Message me through the forums to get a Steam key!” Let’s you filter/ignore people that you don’t want to give your key to.

That’s exactly what I’m doing now. But I created a giveaway website where ppl can simply request a key and it would be much easier if we had a non public forum category for that. I thought others might have a similar system in place for handing out keys … but maybe this problem only applies to me :wink:

2 Likes

I dunno man… It sounds like you just created a service for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a private section for trust level >= Regular, maybe you could ask to be added to it, i don’t know if it’s something that can be done.

Nice game btw, i’ve read it’s not multiplayer, do it has a story to follow? Or is it another nomansky exploration thing?

There is a private section for trust level >= Regular, maybe you could ask to be added to it, i don’t know if it’s something that can be done.

Interesting - what do you have to normally do to get “Regular” trust level? It’s strange that I don’t have it already - I feel like I’m registered in this forum forever. Even long before they started using Discourse …

Nice game btw, i’ve read it’s not multiplayer, do it has a story to follow? Or is it another nomansky exploration thing?

Thank you! Exotic Matter is a lot about exploration but we also have a story line that gives you a mission and helps you decide where to go next.

1 Like

I guess… be a core dev or a moderator. I think you put too much meaning into that.

As to your original post, I think it’s better for you to keep track of who you give keys to. “Registering on this forum” is not a very high bar and spammers seem to be able to do it from time to time. It’s not a very exclusive club and I certainly wouldn’t want to give out steam keys to “everyone who can register on this forum”.

You can read more about Discourse trust level here

I also didn’t know about it. One day I saw a notification about me promoting to a ‘Regular’ member and learned about the secret section in our forum. I was excited. But unfortunately, devs use the slack channel over the secret forum section, so it’s mostly barren. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm… Why isn’t @pspeed a leader then?

He is anything he wants to be. He doesn’t like web design in particular to say the least, judging by the conversations I’ve had over time. Lets just say he’s better off as far away as possible from the server.

Ahem, wouldn’t the lounge fit this description? It’s Regular+ trust level, although disused.

Edit: nevermind.

I do. I created a special system that requires you to come from a certain page (not possible in this forum due to the use of TLS) and to log in with your (not newly created) STEAM account (via OpenID). Only then you’ll get a STEAM key. But I don’t want the URL to fly around in a public (= google searchable) forum page. But no problem - I’ll already handing out keys via PM. It’s just involves a bit more manual work for me, that’s all :wink:

Interesting - didn’t really know how the Discourse trust level work. So I only need to visit the forum every other day for over 100 days to get the trust level “Regular” … hmm … I don’t know if I have the time for that :wink:

Slack is really useful for development - we’re also using that here.

1 Like