Non-square Rectangular Terrain?

I want to create a simulated tabletop miniatures game. Assuming a world unit of 1 inch, I need a “tabletop” that is 72 inches x 48 inches. Two newbie questions:

1. How can I create a non-square rectangular terrain?
  2. How to world units relate to terrain size?

Any help/tips/pointers appreciated!
1 Like

What do you mean, terrain? Do you just want a big rectangle with a wood grain texture on it?

Box tableShape = new Box(Vector3f.ZERO, 72, 1, 48);

Geometry tableGeom = new Geometry(“Box”, tableshape);

rootNode.attachChild(tableGeom);

Then just add materials to it…

1. TerrainQuad is square and only square. So is TerrainGrid. You could use some of the new TerrainQuad interface to build a rectangular terrain out of multiple TerrainQuads; look at TerrainTestTile.java
  2. Terrain is a mesh, each point (say 513x513) is a single unit in size. So it will be 513x513 in world coordinates. You can then scale it afterwards.
1 Like

World unit <->real world mapping is entirely up to you. It’s all based on whatever scale you design your models to.

@javagame said:
What do you mean, terrain? Do you just want a big rectangle with a wood grain texture on it?

I actually did that, at first. But I think going with actual terrain (appropriately sized) would have a lot of benefits: adding hills with a height map, being able to edit terrain on the "tabletop," et cetera.

@Sploreg said:
1) TerrainQuad is square and only square. So is TerrainGrid. You could use some of the new TerrainQuad interface to build a rectangular terrain out of multiple TerrainQuads; look at TerrainTestTile.java
2) Terrain is a mesh, each point (say 513x513) is a single unit in size. So it will be 513x513 in world coordinates. You can then scale it afterwards.

Cool; thanks.

I kind of have the same problem. I want to make something that resembles a road/street and the player should be constrained to a specific path. It’s not worth to build a completely square world if most of it will never be displayed.

I wonder what would be the best model to store such a map.