Normal map to spatial

I went through materials tutorial and was successful in adding my own texture plus normal map to a cube. Now I want to add a normal map to a spatial. The spatial only has one texture. I’m a little lost on how to do this.

normal maps are generated in modeling programs like blender. you typically can not just “create” a normal map. either you have a normal map provided to you from the artist and you can apply it to the material, or you do not and you have no normal map to apply.

I have a normal map. I was trying to apply it to a specific part of a spatial. I managed to get it done using uv mapped on textured object but it looks like you can’t map it to just a portion of an multitextured object. I should have clarified more in the original post.

@jojoofu said: I have a normal map. I was trying to apply it to a specific part of a spatial. I managed to get it done using uv mapped on textured object but it looks like you can't map it to just a portion of an multitextured object. I should have clarified more in the original post.

Actually you can:

1. Open the normal map in a graphics application (like photoshop)
  2. Use the eye-dropper tool to select the flat blue color used for a non-normal mapped area
  3. Select all the crap you don’t want looking bump-y
  4. Use the fill-tool to cover this with the solid blue(ish) color you previously grabbed
  5. Resave the normal map (new name if you want to also keep the original of course)