Normal Maps / Parallex Maps questions

Normal maps don’t use the heightScale. Only height/parallax maps do.

If you’re just using normal maps you don’t have to worry about it

yes i am using parallax maps.

@nehon, I believe it was the parallax maps that were at issue here and I had to modify my version lighting because no matter what I did the bump maps always moved in the wrong direction in at least one axis. I got the tangents to be as logical as I could and then only the Y was backwards so then I flip the sign or whatever.

Much much later, I noticed that the vert shader is expecting tangents to be vec4 for some reason and it then calculates a binormal and multiplies it by negative inTangent.w. When I was converting my inTangent to vec3 and took that multiple out then I got the same behavior I was getting before flipping y in the frag shader. I have not experimented but I suspect I could take out the inversion in the frag shader if I fixed the binormals in the vert shader.

I try my best not to touch working shaders, though.

And note: I know that momoko was fooling around with the shaders after this thread and after he and I had a conversation about the flipped Y I use in Mythruna but I don’t remember if he checked anything in. Prior to that conversation, even the parallax map in the JME test everything demo was wonky and backwards… even after generating tangents properly.